Aurantimaculata tank v2.0. Don’t die on me again !

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
My small striata 5’’ ate today once 5 big krikets and 4 mealworms

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
My small striata 5’’ ate today once 5 big krikets and 4 mealworms

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
All I have to say after reading your thread:

Your tank looks amazing!

As for food, varying diet allows them to get as much of everything as they can, but it also prevents any possible refusal to certain foods.

I've had my auranti pout some kind of food because I got them used to too much of the same thing, so it became staple. Problem was, that was pellets. Took a while to get them off of that, but eventually went back to insects and musles.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Oh I just noticed something: Your tank has no lid? I hope it's just a visual effect, because that'd be the doom of your channas, eventually!

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
ok i'll continue every other day with the feeding, i'll try to mix it up.

thanks madou, my snakeheads are doing everything in their power to ruin my scape though. and muddy the water with their scooping and dumping of soil over everything.

i've seen it described as digging but that isn't how you build a cave these guys just like to trash the place!

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017

So I have a lot of these free floating white fungal looking spores. Any idea the cause? Prior to adding the aurantis I had a totally clean tank no algae at all no detritus. Now I have seen an increase in both. I dropped some arowana pellets in yesterday. Today they sit uneaten at the bottom with that white fungus around them.

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
It looks like old, un-eaten food to me, just scoop it out! That's one sign you are over feeding. If they were that hungry, they would sniff out the majority of the bits left after feeding.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
It looks like old, un-eaten food to me, just scoop it out! That's one sign you are over feeding. If they were that hungry, they would sniff out the majority of the bits left after feeding.
well it can be after their poop

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
well it can be after their poop
I've never had fungus grow on poop, and I've had a tank not have a drop of water removed or added to it for over a year. My aurantis had the most clear water I'd ever seen, and it had not been water changed at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store