automation with Filter roller in African Cichlids tank?

jhw1126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2019
Hi guys, I currently have a 120g(175g with the sump) mix hap set up. And I am working toward full automation. (I am not using apex on this specific project because it is not cost-effective on freshwater setup)

At the moment, I have wifi power plugs and power strips to control all of my device( also monitor power consumption)
With wifi controlled light, temperature controller and crossflow wavemaker

As for filtration, I run a 1100gph return pump, and one chamber fills with seachem matrix and lava rock, and two chambers growing pothos.

For water change, I currently have an auto aqua awc that replaces 3g every 12 hours. Draws water from a 55g water reservoir.

The above equipment takes care of the tank, no vacuuming or water change needed. All I need is to replace filter socks

I have been monitoring this tank for 3months now, and the water parameters are doing fantastic. Nitrate stays around 20 ppm, with 32 inhabitants( all over 5", some around 8"). Two feedings per day, 15g per feeding.

Just one last thing..... I have to replace filter socks every 2-3 days. Which is driving me crazy. I tried filter floss for a while, but it does not give me the same results and sometimes left residues in the sump.

Here's where the filter roller comes in for this project.

Have anyone of you used a filter roller before? And have any of you applied on a freshwater African cichlids tank?

Please let me know, any recommendations/ advice are appreciated thanks

Reactions: Peach02

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
I havnt used one personally but am researching them aswel
The main options are
Klr filter roller
Theling roller
clarisea sk5000

all of them work but I’ve heard mixed reviews on the klr.
you may need to check which ones you could fit in your sump depending on how far you are willing to go with modifications to it.

I personally am leaning towards the Clarissa however that’s the only one readily available near me

jhw1126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2019
The main options are
Klr filter roller
Theling roller
clarisea sk5000

you may need to check which ones you could fit in your sump depending on how far you are willing to go with modifications to it.

I personally am leaning towards the Clarissa however that’s the only one readily available near me
Thanks for the information. I am also doing my research atm.

I am abit hesitated to take the first step due to the lack of available information/review/ experience relative to freshwater application let alone on african cichlids tank.

Personally all of them can fit in my sump. but like you said my choice is also limited due to availability......

This sucks .....
I am going to look around for now, I will keep you posted if I am installing one.

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
I have the klr 7". With the lid on it the new roll got wet and created too much resistance and couldn't turn.
I took the top off and let things dry out now it runs great keeping the lid off. No smell either the old roll dries out and my wife hasn't mentioned anything either.
I have a 100 micron sock inline before it that I'm going to replace with a 200 micron. My sumos has two spots for a sock so I figure might as well use it to extend the life of the roll but use a 200 so I don't have to replace the sick too often.
I like the klr because it folds in half for install. I don't have a lot of room above my sump for most rollers. I already had dual series filter socks so this was a great option for me.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The main options are
Klr filter roller
Theling roller
clarisea sk5000

Are there online options for you? I know it's pain sometimes buying online, but at least you can get what you really want. Is there any known reason that you know if why it would work for freshwater? BRS has all 3 brands that may have some useful reviews.

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
Are there online options for you? I know it's pain sometimes buying online, but at least you can get what you really want. Is there any known reason that you know if why it would work for freshwater? BRS has all 3 brands that may have some useful reviews.
There are a handful but Clarissa is the only one readily available to any, a couple of places have KLR though
My understanding is the mechanics work the same in freshwater so no change maybe just less salt creep.

jhw1126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2019
I have the klr 7". With the lid on it the new roll got wet and created too much resistance and couldn't turn.
I took the top off and let things dry out now it runs great keeping the lid off. No smell either the old roll dries out and my wife hasn't mentioned anything either.
I have a 100 micron sock inline before it that I'm going to replace with a 200 micron. My sumos has two spots for a sock so I figure might as well use it to extend the life of the roll but use a 200 so I don't have to replace the sick too often.
I like the klr because it folds in half for install. I don't have a lot of room above my sump for most rollers. I already had dual series filter socks so this was a great option for me.

Thanks i will look into it.

jhw1126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2019
There are a handful but Clarissa is the only one readily available to any, a couple of places have KLR though
My understanding is the mechanics work the same in freshwater so no change maybe just less salt creep.
I agree, mechanics should be the same, I saw theiling is displaying their product on a pond in one of their video, so definitely viable on freshwater.

But I am more concerned about the retrun rate and the amount of wastes these machines are capable to process.

As we all know african cichlids produce a fk ton of waste. In order to achieve a sustainable and fully automated system, a high turn over rate is needed to remove debris collecting between rockscape and the substrates.

And majority these machine are rated roughly around 600-800gph. Which is less then what I am aiming

There are product out there that's rated at a higher gph. But I have no luck getting any reviews relevant to my situation.

These products are simply too new and with their current price range, not enough people are trying it out......

Two days of research back to square one....

I might have to be the lab rat this time

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
I forgot to add that mine is set up on a 180 gal freshwater tank with a 10" red eared slider and full size African cichlids. My tank has a lot of waste. Filter fleece is filter fleece regardless of freshwater vs saltwater. It traps material and as the water level increases it activates the roller motor.

Also i went with the klir because i already had a setup for 7" filter socks. The Klir 7" is rated for 1800 GPH.
Like i said i'm unhappy about the motor being underrated but just run with the top off and seems to be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhw1126 and Peach02

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
I agree, mechanics should be the same, I saw theiling is displaying their product on a pond in one of their video, so definitely viable on freshwater.

But I am more concerned about the retrun rate and the amount of wastes these machines are capable to process.

As we all know african cichlids produce a fk ton of waste. In order to achieve a sustainable and fully automated system, a high turn over rate is needed to remove debris collecting between rockscape and the substrates.

And majority these machine are rated roughly around 600-800gph. Which is less then what I am aiming

There are product out there that's rated at a higher gph. But I have no luck getting any reviews relevant to my situation.

These products are simply too new and with their current price range, not enough people are trying it out......

Two days of research back to square one....

I might have to be the lab rat this time
From what I’ve heard of people running them above the rated flow it makes the rolls last longer however catch less detritus etc but you may need to let some water pass through without going through the wool through the valves on most.
they will still do the job on most tanks and you don’t want too much turnover otherwise most filters don’t have enough time to filter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store