Axolotl. Need some advice.

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
Some questions.

1) How often should I feed him/her? I know 3-4 times a week is the advised, but my concern is the fact that he looks thin and is only three inches.

2) Could I feed bloodworms that were refrozen? I defrosted a bloodworm cube in a small dish and put the excess back in the freezer. Will this still be fine for consumption?

Being a kept in an air-conditioned room, so my temps are cool.

muffywrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2011
lincoln, NE
I feed mine once a day or once every other day. I wouldn't feed it less than 4 times a week, esp if skinny.

I dunno if it matters if you refroze the bloodworms, once thawed they should still be the same.

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
Thanks for the info guys. Had a bit of a scare because of an incident regarding my mom's old aros. They all died some time after eating left over sashimi and after bringing it up in the aro boards, I was informed that the sashimi was the culprit because of bacteria in the sashimi that killed the aros. I thought that my refrozen bloodworms would spell doom for the axolotl, but thanks for helping me clear my doubts.

He isn't as thick as I think an Axolotl should be. Would daily feeding be fine? If so, once or twice a day?

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
Pellets are a much healthier option. Almost all axolotls are raised on them so should take to them without delay. I feed mine New Life Spectrum exclusively and they matched the breeder's growth rates and are about as robust as you see.

Definitely feed everyday when young, twice a day if you can. As they get bigger you can cut back if you feel you need to, but I wouldn't worry about it.

What substrate do you have them on?

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
He probably won't.

I highly suggest you change to sand. Gravel will trap massive amounts of waste which will lower water quality and create more work for you. If it is small enough he could eat it and become impacted. Sand is really the only good substrate for thm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store