Baby arowana hasn't eaten in over 8 days!

Keagan Mast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
My baby arowana (5 inch) hasn't eaten since I got him last Saturday (4/28). He ate a cricket at the pet store the day I got him and he hasn't eaten since then. I have the water in his aquarium at 78 F. He is in there with a 1.5 inch pacu, 2.5 or 3 inch Oscar, and a 4 or 5 inch clown knife. They all have plenty of cover and space to themselves and get along just fine, also all my other fish are eating, just not my arowana. I don't believe he is trained to eat pellets but I know he used to eat crickets and I always try to feed him them. (And don't worry I have a big heated fish pond ready for them when they get bigger). If you have any suggestions on what I could do about this please help.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Is it beeing harassed by its tankmates? Small aro are pretty fragile when that small, he may need to be seperated for a bit till he settles in and gets a bit more size on him

Reactions: tlindsey

trunglippo

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2016
It has been stressed out and harassed by other fish. Best to keep it alone in 10-20 gals tank with heater and sponge filter. Keep water clean and temp around 82-84. Add some salt to calm it down and go from there

Keagan Mast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
It has been stressed out and harassed by other fish. Best to keep it alone in 10-20 gals tank with heater and sponge filter. Keep water clean and temp around 82-84. Add some salt to calm it down and go from there
I don't have enough money to buy another heater and filter right now. Spent it all on the current tank I have him in

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
If the other fish weren't in there I'd toss him a few small feeder guppies just to get him eating then switch to pellet, krill or fd plankton after that. One he gets comfortable there should be sever options other than crickets.

Keagan Mast

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
Ok, I have gathered up what I think is enough money and I have a 20 gallon to put him in but I need a filter and heater. I am going to a pet store tommorow and can get a heater and filter. Will a regular waterfall style filter work?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok, I have gathered up what I think is enough money and I have a 20 gallon to put him in but I need a filter and heater. I am going to a pet store tommorow and can get a heater and filter. Will a regular waterfall style filter work?

Don't have juvenile Silver Aro in too strong of current.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store