Baby BN plecos

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
My BN spawned. Albinos TOO!!
The first is the male hanging out guarding the cave. Fry basket and then the angels taking notice. I have added two magnolia leaves and java moss to the basket.
191E5D99-1C76-402A-B577-C0587F398AA0.jpeg3E26C477-0040-4F43-9316-E6A6FBC8711C.jpeg199C9F60-B698-4896-86FC-10CADCF81052.jpeg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Congrats!

Reactions: tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I too have baby BN right now, both albinos and dark ones. A number of juvies from previous spawnings have survived and are at various sizes, but none of the white ones. Don't know why. Congratulations!

Reactions: tlindsey

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I was watching them this morning as they are so small they are slightly transparent. The eyes and mouth can be seen through the bottom of the body and with the head down it looks like an angry face, especially when the mouth is moving.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I counted 39 little BN while doing a water change. I did cull one so far that had a bent spine and have one other that I need to cull. They are feeding on Sera Catfish Chips Wafers with Wood, Bug Bites pleco and bottom feeder granules, Marine sinking carnivore pellets and marine spirolina sinking pellets, magnolia leaves, and some fresh cucumber.
My male is guarding a second hatching.
Trying to acquire a feather fin male or some juveniles from a local breeder.

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
Yay congrats! Are they albino tho?

Both mum and dad need an albino gene to get any albino babies. If both pleco adults are albino, the babies will be 100% albino, but if only one parent is albino or carries one gene of albino, then all the babies will be dominant brown (assuming you have a brown BN). My albino fry are pure white with red eyes. I didn't even know what it was at first bc my two plecos were both brown (but each carried an albino gene). So they produced 50% albino, but I had never seen anything albino before lol. Fyi, the albinos are the first to be snatched up by the tankmates bc they stick out like a sore thumb unfortunately....

Edit: Oh oops I see some albino mixed in now. So mum and dad are not albino correct? What color/strain are they?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Yay congrats! Are they albino tho?

Both mum and dad need an albino gene to get any albino babies. If both pleco adults are albino, the babies will be 100% albino, but if only one parent is albino or carries one gene of albino, then all the babies will be dominant brown (assuming you have a brown BN). My albino fry are pure white with red eyes. I didn't even know what it was at first bc my two plecos were both brown (but each carried an albino gene). So they produced 50% albino, but I had never seen anything albino before lol. Fyi, the albinos are the first to be snatched up by the tankmates bc they stick out like a sore thumb unfortunately....

Edit: Oh oops I see some albino mixed in now. So mum and dad are not albino correct? What color/strain are they?
I have a calico male. Not sure about the female as she is brown. Out of the approx 40 fry less than a dozen are albino in this batch. I have 5 29g grow out tanks waiting for a stand. I will stop by Lowes or HD to get the 2 2x6 I need after work. Already have the rest of the materials.

Reactions: angelcrze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store