Baby dats

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I purchased 2 juvenile dats barely 2 inches long. Love these fish! My first time with them. I am going to try and keep them together if possible, but if they start to fight I have 2 large aquariums so I could separate them. I love the coloration on the one! I'll include pictures. I just got them so they are still a little skittish. The one is still stressed from the move and is still all black. It appears both are eating though. I have only tried frozen brine shrimp so far.

Any tips on the care of these beautiful fish would be greatly appreciated! I do have them in 100% freshwater. I plan to put them in my stingray tank when they get bigger.

Also these were sold to me as (ST) but some on a Facebook group have told me it is an (IT). IMG_7505.JPG IMG_7505.JPG IMG_7507.JPG

Reactions: bbortko

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting markings on that one.

Reactions: viper0397

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
I purchased 2 juvenile dats barely 2 inches long. Love these fish! My first time with them. I am going to try and keep them together if possible, but if they start to fight I have 2 large aquariums so I could separate them. I love the coloration on the one! I'll include pictures. I just got them so they are still a little skittish. The one is still stressed from the move and is still all black. It appears both are eating though. I have only tried frozen brine shrimp so far.

Any tips on the care of these beautiful fish would be greatly appreciated! I do have them in 100% freshwater. I plan to put them in my stingray tank when they get bigger.

Also these were sold to me as (ST) but some on a Facebook group have told me it is an (IT). View attachment 1226935 View attachment 1226935 View attachment 1226936
How much did you bought these for since they were sold as ST?

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
They were in brackish water about 1.09 I had slowly acclimated them to freshwater. Maybe you all can guide me, but from what I have read this should be just fine. Is that really the case?

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
They are Indo's and they are full freshwater tiger even though they can handle salt. Since they are small try to keep them away from live foods and try bloodworms, freeze dried foods and market shrimp. One day see about pellets

Reactions: viper0397

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
They are Indo's and they are full freshwater tiger even though they can handle salt. Since they are small try to keep them away from live foods and try bloodworms, freeze dried foods and market shrimp. One day see about pellets
Cool thank you for the heads up!! One is eating like a pig and the other not so much. I thought I saw it eat, but not sure. Was going to try live food, but now that I see your comment I will not. I have only had them since Friday night. How long without food before I need to worry? I do have them in a tank with a 4 inch arrowana. Maybe that is scaring it. It does have places to hide and the aro rarely swims below the surface.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Cool thank you for the heads up!! One is eating like a pig and the other not so much. I thought I saw it eat, but not sure. Was going to try live food, but now that I see your comment I will not. I have only had them since Friday night. How long without food before I need to worry? I do have them in a tank with a 4 inch arrowana. Maybe that is scaring it. It does have places to hide and the aro rarely swims below the surface.
Dats will always take live cause it's natural for them. Just remember the mouth rule with dats... If it's big enough to fit then it will. If you can't get your other dat onto some non live food then it may start bothering g the Aro so just keep a eye on it. When mine was little it would strike the sides of my filament barbs and eat the scales. When it comes to hiding spot dats will use them right up to where you don't see them till feedings so you might not want to many.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Dats will always take live cause it's natural for them. Just remember the mouth rule with dats... If it's big enough to fit then it will. If you can't get your other dat onto some non live food then it may start bothering g the Aro so just keep a eye on it. When mine was little it would strike the sides of my filament barbs and eat the scales. When it comes to hiding spot dats will use them right up to where you don't see them till feedings so you might not want to many.
I decided to try frozen bloodworms last night and I watched them both eat!! I was pretty happy about that!

Thank you for the tips!

Reactions: FunWow!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store