Bad Cat, my personal Journey in to RTC

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
Bad Cat has started to eat again... for a long time, he really didn't care much for food. Would eat every 5 to 6 days... and not much. I fed him by had as usual and he just didnt seem to care much.
Been feeding him raw shrimp with the shell, imitation crab, tilapia, and cod...
Well for Valentine's day, I fed him lobster.
So now Bad Cat is wanting food daily... so I suspect a growth spurt very soon again. This has been the case for 3 years now, not so with my other 2 RTCs I have in other tanks... or, with the RTC tiger shovel nose. Those crazy fish will eat till they pop.
Trying to measure Bad Cat is a bit difficult, but I do believe he is 26 inches.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I’d be careful with artificial shrimp. But idk what’s in it, that’s where my caution would come from lol

Reactions: Loco Lucas

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
I’d be careful with artificial shrimp. But idk what’s in it, that’s where my caution would come from lol
I do not feed artificial shrimp, I feed imitation crab. Same that I eat and I do read the ingredients. Less stuff that I cannot pronounce than most fish food.
If I can eat it, so can my fish. That's the way I have been with all of my pets actually. Even my cats and dogs.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I do not feed artificial shrimp, I feed imitation crab. Same that I eat and I do read the ingredients. Less stuff that I cannot pronounce than most fish food.
If I can eat it, so can my fish. That's the way I have been with all of my pets actually. Even my cats and dogs.
Apologies I meant the crab, by imitation do you mean artificial or a species? If a species well then I apologize again for my ignorance lol. If not, just remember your stomach is different than a fishes. Meant to digest different things. You don't have to see negative affects right away for it to be bad. Something's happen over time. Good example is fruit being toxic to dogs. You won't see nothing right away but overtime you may.

Reactions: celebrist

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
Apologies I meant the crab, by imitation do you mean artificial or a species? If a species well then I apologize again for my ignorance lol. If not, just remember your stomach is different than a fishes. Meant to digest different things. You don't have to see negative affects right away for it to be bad. Something's happen over time. Good example is fruit being toxic to dogs. You won't see nothing right away but overtime you may.
I totally understand what you are saying, it is made out of fish, does have other stuff in it but less than what fish food has.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Is it crabsticks you talking about? Its fish with crabtaste to it. I feed my fish sometimes with that.

Reactions: Loco Lucas

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
Updates...
Bad Cat is growing of course. For sure he is 26 inches long. I have been giving him little snacks through out the week. Mainly shrimp tails n scraps or what ever. He has eaten all but one of the 10 and 11 inch Balla sharks. So be it... the forced move I had to make heavy decisions and Bad Cat has priorities. The Black Shark has grown too... about 11 inches? Hard to measure a moving fish.
The smaller African cichlids have spawned and 4 of the little yellow fry have grown up to be the size of a pinky nail. Even despite being sucked up into the filter system. (I rescued them and they are back in the tank)
As I prepare for the big move I am going with a 1000 gallon plus tank to be set up in the new shop before I move. I will cycle the tank, and have it ready for the transfer.
Then, all my larger fish... especially the peacock bass... will be in the new larger tank. My love affair with the peacock bass has ended.
But what us interesting about Bad Cat is the older he becomes, the more mellow he is. Very gentle, and curious... for a fish.

20190522_125732.jpg20190522_125749.jpg20190522_125739.jpg

Bad Cat was a bit disappointed there were no treats today.... I watch his belly... hahhahhaha

Is it crabsticks you talking about? Its fish with crabtaste to it. I feed my fish sometimes with that.
Yes, basically. They use it for sushi and salads. But there is more actual fish and proteins than "fish" food... and there is a LOT less mess in the tank. This is why I have been trying to feed as naturally as I can. Saves on the filters!

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
Update!
2 years ago I moved my tanks and fish January 30th... I drove 14 hours in 0°F weather and reach my new house.
I did lose some fish, but my RTCs all lived. Bad Cat is now approaching 30" long and decided to kill the Peacock Bass... I do not blame him.... LOL
Bad Cat now lives in a 600 gallon tank with 110 gallons of reservoir. I will post photos soon.

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
20200131_131941.jpg
This was the move... it was an insane 2 days using power packs to keep the water "warm" and circulation going. But he made it. I still feed him the same stuff, chicken, shrimp, pellets, a ball of hamburger once a month if that. Bad Cat absolutely loves it, but I know it is bad for him. The other two RTC are getting much bigger, they are well over 18 inches now.

20200131_123907.jpg

20200916_152705.jpg

20200624_122947.jpg

Attachments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store