Barramundi care

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
I've been looking around for cool fish and i came across the Barramundi. I have a few questions.

What is max size? Are they a schooling fish? Whats their primary diet? Can they have tankmates? What temperature? And how much does one usually have to pay for a barramundi?

Reactions: fishmarket

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
get ready for a pond folks. At least a 1000 gallons for these monsters. These guys live in austrialia so many in the mid 7os for the temperature would be good. with a good sized tank, they can get to 3 feet!! NOT FOR THE NOOBS. no they aren't school fish and they are highly predetory. They can eat any fish that can fit in it's mouth. maybe some large tough fish like arowanas, peacock bass etc.

warman98

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
Portugal
Yeah they do get big but they are great fish! Very expensive (so if your starting go for the Nile Perch). And big exotic monsters will do well. Good temperature and an 8 feet tank would be ideal. Their behavior with other Barramundi can get aggressive, more or less like cichla. Great fish too keep. But you need to be prepared, nothing to start with..

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah they do get big but they are great fish! Very expensive (so if your starting go for the Nile Perch). And big exotic monsters will do well. Good temperature and an 8 feet tank would be ideal. Their behavior with other Barramundi can get aggressive, more or less like cichla. Great fish too keep. But you need to be prepared, nothing to start with..
they aren't that expensive in north america. You can get them in an Asain food market for cheap! LOL

Steve86

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
Australia
G'day all,

I have a barra at the moment. Have grown him up from young (around 1.5") to around 7" (that size at the moment) with 4 mono p bass. The problem with barra is they grow so quick and as previously stated, have huge mouths and anything that fits in its mouth is fair game. Over here in aus they are cheap, around $10AUS for a small one. Not very agro fish (as in territorial or nasty) just always on the watch for something to eat.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
they aren't that expensive in north america. You can get them in an Asain food market for cheap! LOL
Agreed,I have seen them for sale in some markets in this city but they were meant to be sold as human food and were in pretty rough shape.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
The get big fast so they can end up eatting your tank mates. Idk how big but most fish only grow half size in cap. Theyll eat what ever they can get in there mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store