Barred Midas

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Been looking at this fish for months now. Finally picked it up. I no it was brought in by a guy who was moving. He turned in a chanco, umbee , this fish which he told them was a barred midas he got from rapps. Was going to get the chanco but it sold before I could get in there. The question is does this look like a barred midas. I have had trimac but never a midas. Thanks20190711_165338.jpg20190711_165352.jpg20190711_165205.jpg

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
It was all barred up when I got him. New tank color changed and washed out a little bit I will try to get a better picture once settled in

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Rapps stopped selling in March to the best of my recollection (I bought a barred midas from him last Sept and a Jag in late February). IF that's one of his barred midas it should have 4 months growth on it and I would expect it to be bigger... so a little suspect.

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
It has been stuck in a fish store for along time now. It was in like a 2 gallon tank. Everytime I passed thru there I always looked the same size. I'm sure its growth has slowed since it's been in there so long. The fish is being feed properly and the water is being changed alot now. In just going to keep it in clean water and see what happens. Maybe it will take off in size now just have to wait and see what I got here. Will post another picture soon. Thanks for the reply

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Picture from yesterday haven't had it a week yet. It is a mean little thing tho.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The common term barred midas (or barred Amp) could be any of about a dozen species of Amphilophus.
And each species has barred, and non-barred forms/ variants.
Here is a barred Amphilophus sp Amarillo to compare.
first as a juvie
a little older

same individual but older yet

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Hey thanks Duane's I have done tons of research on these fish and read alot on them. I no there is no way to find out catch location or really find out the kind. I no most are mixed now but I'm just going on by what I was told and where it's from. Just hoping what I got here after a little time and care this fish turns out to be a kind of amph. I dont see many around my neck of the woods. Thanks for the reply will be posting more pictures as time goes on. A week ago this fish looked pretty sad have noticed after some good feeding and cleaner water has helped out alot so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store