Best cichlid?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Go for an acara type with dithers or a couple of cryptoheros and dithers both are very colorful
Rapps has aqeuidens metae.

Nanolutes, panamensis, sajica, honduran red points are all good looking fish. Another member has a cryptheros tank that looks stunning

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
JD can be quite shy, so if you're looking for a wet pet, you may be disappointed. I've already made mention of it, but I still highly recommend a pumpkinseed sunfish for that tank. They get to a comfortable size for that tank, colorful, and a total wet pet. Plus, heating is not needed

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If I got the green terror or jack Dempsey what would be some tank mates that could go with them. Or is it going to be a 1 fish tank

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
50 is a small space for your choices, so aggression and predation will be an issue with tank mates

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I've seen a male jack Dempsey that was easily 10". I don't think that's a good long term home for a male jack Dempsey. Maybe a female. But it's too small for a male long term.

Jaws made some excellent suggestions.

Imo a 50 gallon is too small for most medium size male centrals or southies.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
If your looking for more than one, why not go with a male/female convict tank? Almost guaranteed to breed for you if you get good stock. They are also pound for pound the toughest fish on the block. Firemouths, salvini's, stuff around that size can be kept in your tank comfortably in small numbers. I'd grab 2-3 total and you should be good. Maybe one of each?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store