Best pellet for flowerhorn

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
Without being a brand snob, here's some ingredients that I tend to avoid. Corn, soybeans, soybean oil, pea protein, potato protein, and especially ingredient splitting, where as an example wheat flour, wheat germ, and wheat middlings, all add up to a LOT of wheat when combined as a total for wheat, in a formula. For plant matter I always choose aquatic plant matter, over terrestrial.

Lots of aquatic formulas/brands will get the job done, some simply get it done with higher quality ingredients, and less overall waste.
Thoughts on NLS Float? They have a 4.5 mmr im looking at. My guy is on floating now 3.5-4mm. Figured this would be a good choice for similar size and float that he's used to. Can't find much info on the float though. Anyone tried this?

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Thoughts on NLS Float? They have a 4.5 mmr im looking at. My guy is on floating now 3.5-4mm. Figured this would be a good choice for similar size and float that he's used to. Can't find much info on the float though. Anyone tried this?
Ultrared floats for few seconds, that should be enough time for him to get it. If you feed a pallet or two at time.

Panda-Jay

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2020
In my experience with numerous high grade flowerhorn of many different sizes, I went back to basics.

I initially used almost all of the imported specialty foods to some degree of success. However over diffrrent periods of time each one of those fish became I'll. (okiko/of/bonuses/hikari etc)

All were treated with antibiotics, some survived, some didn't.

After much frustration, I resorted back to a high protein, low carb pellet commercially available and reasonably priced. I have not had a sick fish since. There poop is much firmer, consistent and no more string or white.

The fish hit hard, are super aggresive, are super healthy, and I respect quality genetics instead of additives or hormones.

The standards and consistency for pet feed in foreign countries is cause for concern.

The food I swear by now is ....

" Tropical " Flowerhorn
It comes in both Adult and Young size pellets. 15807858311543860014993864098510.jpg15807858781072557057642656181592.jpg15807859473134165927578488148727.jpg20200128_212927.jpg20200128_212555.jpg20200128_212543.jpg20200104_133539.jpg20191024_205238.jpg

Panda-Jay

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2020
For your information pics #4,#8 are a fish I rescued in very bad shape less than 6 months ago.
That fish is an absolute beast. He plays, headbutted and hits pellets so hard they fly out of tank and all over the place. He sounds like a flushing toilet when he hits.

For size reference that is s 75 gallon tank and Fluval FX intake strainer.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Tropical Flowerhorn, looks like a lot of the lower quality crap out of the EU. Post the ingredients.

The very fact that this company promotes HIGH PROTEIN ought to send up some red flags for anyone that knows anything about flowerhorns, and their nutritional needs.

Product Description
Tropical Young Flower Horn Cichlid Pellets are colour-enhancing floating pellets carefully created specifically for flower horns and other similar cichlids. Flower horn cichlids require hefty amounts of protein and unsaturated fatty acids (Omega-3 and Omega-6) in order to grow healthy and beautiful forehead humps. Spirulina and other plant materials provide essential fibre, promoting healthy digestion and providing essential natural carotenoids, which enhance colouration and boost immune system functionality. Tropical's Flower Horn Cichlid Pellets are low in starch, protecting the organs of carnivorous fish from fatty deterioration. Tropical produced pellet food does not disintegrate when submerged in water, keeping your aquarium clean and all the valuable nutrients held together for your fish.

BTW - excessive fatty acids from any source, including any form of crude fat, can cause organ damage over time. Also, this does not just relate to carnivorous fish, as stated by this manufacturer.

Here's what I found online, please post pics of the label if this incorrect;

Ingredients: fish and fish derivatives, cereals, vegetable protein extracts, molluscs and crustaceans, derivatives of vegetable origin, algae (including Spirulina platensis min. 2%), yeasts, oils and fats, minerals (including zeolite 1%).

Low in starch??? The second ingredient listed by dry weight, is CEREAL. lol

Reactions: Ruturaj

Panda-Jay

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2020
I'm sure that "tropical" is not the absolute best flowerhorn food on the market, however for the price, quantity and quality it is a good maybe not great, but good product.

It is produced by a reputable and established manufacturer.

I believe that any fish, but especially flowerhorn need variation in their diet.

I could have been more specific about my dislike of specifically the Asian specialty brands that contain massive amounts of color/kok inducing hormones.

I'm no expert at this, I just wanted to share my experience with a much overlooked, average commercial product that has given me great results based on what it is.

I also use North Fin products and am completely satisfied with them.

Unfortunately I have looked at NLS products many times but have never had the opportunity to use them.

I new to the whole forum thing, only began keeping fish within the last four years, have learned a lot, mostly the hard way, and happen to have some really nice (imo) fish, but really appreciate the experience and wisdom of others, especially the opportunity to learn even more.

Reactions: silverrhino8

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No worries, just adding my 2 cents. I have kept fish for many years, have also owned several FH, and spent a decade working in the fish food industry.

Tropical looks like Tetra/Sera etc to me, a common theme in EU made food is to jumble ingredients with non specific terms & names, something I personally don't like. Several years ago there was a company in Britain that had almost identical ingredient listings. New Era, but they eventually went under.

From Tropical's website:

Complete feedingstuff for ornamental fish. Ingredients: fish and fish derivatives, cereals, vegetable protein extracts, molluscs and crustaceans, derivatives of vegetable origin, algae (including Spirulina platensis min. 2%), yeasts, oils and fats, minerals (including zeolite 1%). Additives (per kg): Vitamins, pro-vitamins and chemically well-defined substances having similar effect: vit. A 35 000 IU, vit. D3 1 500 IU, vit. E 130 mg, vit. C 520 mg. Compounds of trace elements: E1 (Fe) 40.0 mg, E6 (Zn) 11.0 mg, E5 (Mn) 8.2 mg, E4 (Cu) 2.0 mg, E2 (I) 0.22 mg, E8 (Se) 0.22 mg, E7 (Mo) 0.05 mg. Colourants: astaxanthin 100 mg. Antioxidants. Analytical constituents: crude protein 47.0%, crude oils and fats 8.0%, crude fibres 2.0%, moisture 8.0%.

What are cereals, corn flakes? Same with vegetable protein extracts, and derivatives of vegetable origin? Pretty general listings, and consumers have no idea what or how much they are using in each formula.

And how do we know what their definition of "low starch" is? FH do not require high protein, and are not carnivores, so they already missed the mark there.

I'm glad that your fish are doing well on it, but this is not what I would consider getting back to the basics. Back to the basics IMO would be to feed your FH a quality food designed for omnivorous cichlids.

Last edited:

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I initially used almost all of the imported specialty foods to some degree of success. However over diffrrent periods of time each one of those fish became I'll.
(okiko/of/bonuses/hikari etc)
IMO hikari is better brand than what you are feeding now. I think there might have been a different reason for fish becoming ill, because I highly doubt any of those foods will cause illness.

I believe that any fish, but especially flowerhorn need variation in their diet.
Not really. If fish is getting all the nutrition it needs from one food then it should be all good. The pallets are made up of many ingredients already.

I also use North Fin products and am completely satisfied with them.
I think feeding northfin will be better than feeding all the brands you mentioned except NLS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store