Best Sand ever!!

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Just saw your post. That must have been interesting. I have also brewed beer, made wine, and liqueurs. I have actually started the beneficial bacteria cycle with ALCOHOL (vodka) in an aquarium a number of years ago. I could have used vinegar. I told the clerk the vodka was for my fish. She kind of gave me a polite whatever look.

The small additions and increases of alcohol were carefully charted and it worked. Using vinegar was supposed to work as well but required very large amounts of vinegar. Whereas it required a much smaller amount of alcohol.[/QUOTE
Starting the beneficial bacteria cycle with alcohol or vinegar is called carbon dosing, but requires careful charting and fairly exact dosing. Can also be used to correct an imbalance of nitrates in a running tank.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
In resturant business myself half my life anyway also. And yes mostly joking. Lol
Did try to get involved in a brewery and bourbon bar a couple years ago with a friend but hasnt happened yet not sure if it will. I've brewed beer for about 7 years now but unsure if I want to do it as a job. But with the different "classes" we took and how my tastes have changed my friends label me a snob. Lol I'm ok with it.
Well, knowledge can elevate. ;)

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Just saw your post. That must have been interesting. I have also brewed beer, made wine, and liqueurs. I have actually started the beneficial bacteria cycle with ALCOHOL (vodka) in an aquarium a number of years ago. I could have used vinegar. I told the clerk the vodka was for my fish. She kind of gave me a polite whatever look.

The small additions and increases of alcohol were carefully charted and it worked. Using vinegar was supposed to work as well but required very large amounts of vinegar. Whereas it required a much smaller amount of alcohol.
Yup in salt I did that too carbon dosing. I used vodka also good old 5 o'clock. I did use about a shots worth of crystal head 1 time, I thoght my wife was going to kill me. Lol! I just told her that one colony of bansi garff is worth about $600, more if I frag it less if it dies or turns brown.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Yup in salt I did that too carbon dosing. I used vodka also good old 5 o'clock. I did use about a shots worth of crystal head 1 time, I thoght my wife was going to kill me. Lol! I just told her that one colony of bansi garff is worth about $600, more if I frag it less if it dies or turns brown.
Haha. That is a beautiful coral. Hopefully the shot worked. I had to do a series of injections building in amount as the bacteria culture expanded. Freshwater. I guess they eat the sugars and the alcohol evaporated. I don't remember all the details, was a long time ago. I remember wondering if the bacteria and fish were having a happy time. I looked for erratic fish movements. I remember one fish kept racing through the tank and banging his head against the wall. Like a bull rhino charging his reflection. I lightened the dosage.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Haha. That is a beautiful coral. Hopefully the shot worked. I had to do a series of injections building in amount as the bacteria culture expanded. Freshwater. I guess they eat the sugars and the alcohol evaporated. I don't remember all the details, was a long time ago. I remember wondering if the bacteria and fish were having a happy time. I looked for erratic fish movements. I remember one fish kept racing through the tank and banging his head against the wall. Like a bull rhino charging his reflection. I lightened the dosage.
Would love to see a separate thread on this alcohol process. Heard about it but thought it was a gimmick.

And yes, all the best people gather at my home to see the sand...we sit around in black tie and sip champagne in jelly jars. Bone china is reserved for our "twister" mix (scotch/rum/brandy/vodka and cream) all over cracked ice of course. Just the other day one of my hi class friends adjusted his monocle and commented on every sparkle and fleck of the sand, noting the brilliant color in the light. He toasted the tank! Scheduled viewings are available if Brick and Kong don't mind.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Would love to see a separate thread on this alcohol process. Heard about it but thought it was a gimmick.

And yes, all the best people gather at my home to see the sand...we sit around in black tie and sip champagne in jelly jars. Bone china is reserved for our "twister" mix (scotch/rum/brandy/vodka and cream) all over cracked ice of course. Just the other day one of my hi class friends adjusted his monocle and commented on every sparkle and fleck of the sand, noting the brilliant color in the light. He toasted the tank! Scheduled viewings are available if Brick and Kong don't mind.
First lol that is funny.
Yes carbon dosing is a real thing. And yes you ramp up to a desired out come, which is a desired nitrate level or should I say lack of nitrate level. Mine was salt. I didnt realize you could do it with fresh water. You can use vinegar, sugar water mix, or vodka. Vodka is easiest method. With vinegar you need to worry about the effects of the acid on ph, its not a huge amount but a slight worry. All in all kind of a PIA. I switched to biopellets in a reactor much easier.

Reactions: Fishflyer

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
First lol that is funny.
Yes carbon dosing is a real thing. And yes you ramp up to a desired out come, which is a desired nitrate level or should I say lack of nitrate level. Mine was salt. I didnt realize you could do it with fresh water. You can use vinegar, sugar water mix, or vodka. Vodka is easiest method. With vinegar you need to worry about the effects of the acid on ph, its not a huge amount but a slight worry. All in all kind of a PIA. I switched to biopellets in a reactor much easier.
Heh, I was having fun with an earlier post.

So you basically dose vodka like ammonia? Ppm or some other method?

Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Your black tie affair sounds like a cultured and fun event. A potent cocktail too. Sand Viewing Celebration...I don't know-- pretty racy. Well if you are going to be hosting it, Finwin, it has to be fun. After a few of those cocktails; wild games ensue. ;)

Yes carbon dosing works on freshwater as well. I just looked in my my master test kit case and found the log book of when I did the carbon dosing. Start out with .1 ml per 10g, .2 per 20g ect. per day mixed in with water and added to aquarium away from fish. I get non-needle syringes from feed store. Use that dosage Day 1-4 . Increase your vodka dosage .15 ml Day 5-9. Check nitrite/nitrate levels at 1 week. Increase vodka .25 ml Day 10-15
Nitrate levels should safe somewhere day 10-15. If nitrates not reduced to safe level add .25 ml per day for a week. Increase .25 ml to .5 ml per day for next week. Once minimal nitrate readings are achieved at any point reduce vodka dosage by ½. No matter what size tank.
I had to do some work so I didn't get into the conversation earlier. Wasn't being rude.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
First lol that is funny.
I was trying to figure out what a PIA was. Thought it was abbreviation for a scientific aquatic term. Could not find it in my comprehensive aquarium encyclopedia. I think I have it now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store