Best Sand ever!!

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Sorry photos on pages 5 & 7.

Very nice photos, good looking sand. Nice equipment. What color is that called? I tend to like the blues. Do they have different shades of blue? Thanks for sharing that. I will pass on to the other member intereseted in sand for his upcoming new tank that you posted new photos.
How long have you had this sand? Please keep us posted as to maintainance further in.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018

Very nice photos, good looking sand. Nice equipment. What color is that called? I tend to like the blues. Do they have different shades of blue? Thanks for sharing that. I will pass on to the other member intereseted in sand for his upcoming new tank that you posted new photos.
How long have you had this sand? Please keep us posted as to maintainance further in. Unless you have had the sand for a while and can answer about maintenance now? What did it cost per lb, and did that include shipping? I will check back on your earlier post, I think you listed prices. Thank you for the nice photos.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC

Color is Carribean Mist...its an intense teal blue color. Thanks for the kudos, I will post information on my filtration system in the appropriate thread.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
There is a faq page on the website but it only seems to cover the white play sand. Also its pretty expensive there is a calculator, I used it to see how much of their floral sand was needed for a 2" depth on a standard 180 it said 190lbs. 25lb bag is $33.00 + $15 shipping/bag $48.00×8 (8×25=200) $384.
Cant find anything about what is used to color the sand or the colorfastness of it.
Ive emailed them in the past and I dont believe I got a response. It coulda gone to spam. In the mean time while waiting I did the math and decided it was to expensive to persue.
Would like to see pics as well and if anyone has used it for a while.
Oh hell naw lol

That's all I needed to hear. Leslie pool filter is like $12 and I bought my lady at HD for $6.

Reactions: twentyleagues

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Oh hell naw lol

That's all I needed to hear. Leslie pool filter is like $12 and I bought my lady at HD for $6.
It's all in how you move your money around for the hobby...some people pay 350 - 500 bucks for canister filtration and inexpensive sand...I went the opposite. Built my own custom corner filters for 65 bucks total and used the money for the sand instead. Also in the earlier thread I discovered the calculator overestimates the amount you'll need. I bought around 175 lbs and only needed 80 for a 1 1/2 inch layer.

You could get a small amount of color sand and mix in into the white for nice effects too. I got a 10 percent discount for bulk purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishflyer

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
It's all in how you move your money around for the hobby...some people pay 350 - 500 bucks for canister filtration and inexpensive sand...I went the opposite. Built my own custom corner filters for 65 bucks total and used the money for the sand instead. Also in the earlier thread I discovered the calculator overestimates the amount you'll need. I bought around 175 lbs and only needed 80 for a 1 1/2 inch layer.

You could get a small amount of color sand and mix in into the white for nice effects too. I got a 10 percent discount for bulk purchase.
That was just my initial reaction. To each their own. That's what makes hobbies like this great. It would be boring if we all had the same fish , etc. Drink your beverage with your pinky up high looking at your fancy sand.

Reactions: J. H.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE

That was just my initial reaction. To each their own. That's what makes hobbies like this great. It would be boring if we all had the same fish , etc. Drink your beverage with your pinky up high looking at your fancy sand.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018

I have mixed different sands together to achieve more weight a heavier sand with light weight sand. Colors were different but the blend came out cool. A white and gray sand came out a Coral color. My cichlid did the mixing. And yes that is partly what it is about. Make a it decent habitat for the fish, and something of beauty for you to get creative with and relax to. Does Pool Filter Sand have heft and float into the filters when stirred or disturbed?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
LOL I'll be sure to sip some Scotch in my finest bone china!

Reactions: Fishflyer

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I have mixed different sands together to achieve more weight a heavier sand with light weight sand. Colors were different but the blend came out cool. A white and gray sand came out a Coral color. My cichlid did the mixing. And yes that is partly what it is about. Make a it decent habitat for the fish, and something of beauty for you to get creative with and relax to. Does Pool Filter Sand have heft and float into the filters when stirred or disturbed?
I've never really used pool sand but I hear its on the heavy side. Don't know about the grain size. I looked at some at my local hardware store, seemed pretty ordinary. Someone posted on Utube a red devil tank with white, red, and black sand mixed...looked great. Also certain colors really make the fish pop. I was considering dark green for a "bog / jungle" look.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store