Best Sand ever!!

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I've never really used pool sand but I hear its on the heavy side. Don't know about the grain size. I looked at some at my local hardware store, seemed pretty ordinary. Someone posted on Utube a red devil tank with white, red, and black sand mixed...looked great. Also certain colors really make the fish pop. I was considering dark green for a "bog / jungle" look.
Yes the sand or gravel colors can accentuate fish colors. I have a multiple color light choice system on with a setting that will also slowly fade through all the colors. I have this on two tanks. I go with the white, blue, red combinations for the planted tank. An orange light in a non planted tank sets off the golden lab's color.

And in no way is this a cut. I spent $30 each on my Sunsun 3 stage HW-603B cannister filters. I have 3 for each of my tanks. Intend to get more for my other tanks. They have smaller and larger sizes. Bought them to assist my other filters in each tank. But these work horses take over and do the lion's share of the work.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I've never really used pool sand but I hear its on the heavy side. Don't know about the grain size. I looked at some at my local hardware store, seemed pretty ordinary. Someone posted on Utube a red devil tank with white, red, and black sand mixed...looked great. Also certain colors really make the fish pop. I was considering dark green for a "bog / jungle" look.
Yes the sand or gravel colors can accentuate fish colors. I have a multiple color light choice system on with a setting that will also slowly fade through all the colors. I have this on two tanks. I go with the white, blue, red combinations for the planted tank. An orange light in a non planted tank sets off the golden lab's color.

And in no way is this a cut. I spent $30 each on my Sunsun 3 stage HW-603B cannister filters. I have 3 for each of my tanks. Intend to get more for my other tanks. They have smaller and larger sizes. Bought them to assist my other filters in each tank. But these work horses take over and do the lion's share of the work. Th

And in no way is this a cut. I spent $30 each on my Sunsun 3 stage HW-603B cannister filters. I have 3 for each of my tanks. Intend to get more for my other tanks. They have smaller and larger sizes. Bought them to assist my other filters in each tank. But these work horses take over and do the lion's share of the work.
That is to say 3 Cannister filters, one per tank.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Scotch,bourbon,most whisky should be drank in a rocks glass for flavor sake. The shape of the glass really adds to or subtracts from the flavors of alcohol,beer,wine. As do temps, and in some instances the way a glass is held using body heat to warm or keeping body heat away from the liquid.
Retired party guy turned alcohol snob....lol

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Scotch,bourbon,most whisky should be drank in a rocks glass for flavor sake. The shape of the glass really adds to or subtracts from the flavors of alcohol,beer,wine. As do temps, and in some instances the way a glass is held using body heat to warm or keeping body heat away from the liquid.
Retired party guy turned alcohol snob....lol
Parents Euro. Wine from crystal wine glasses that would "sing" or ring like a bell. Beer from ceramic steins or frosted glass beer mugs, liqueurs from fluted apertif glasses, whiskey yes in rock barrel glasses, cocktails in buckets or chimney glasses unless they were a specialty cocktail , brandy in snifters. Parents had a restaurant and lounge, so grew up in the restaurant business. Just a restaurant worker that did everything in the business, until I went into optics. I tried never to be a snob. I think you were at least half joking?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
In resturant business myself half my life anyway also. And yes mostly joking. Lol
Did try to get involved in a brewery and bourbon bar a couple years ago with a friend but hasnt happened yet not sure if it will. I've brewed beer for about 7 years now but unsure if I want to do it as a job. But with the different "classes" we took and how my tastes have changed my friends label me a snob. Lol I'm ok with it.

Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
A person can have class without being a snob.
Getting back to sand, it should also be a matter of what is good for the fish and what they like. I have a combination tank, ½ gravel, ½ sand. The cichlids likes to forage in the sand and rearrange it, while the Cories like to forage in the nooks of the gravel.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
In resturant business myself half my life anyway also. And yes mostly joking. Lol
Did try to get involved in a brewery and bourbon bar a couple years ago with a friend but hasnt happened yet not sure if it will. I've brewed beer for about 7 years now but unsure if I want to do it as a job. But with the different "classes" we took and how my tastes have changed my friends label me a snob. Lol I'm ok with it.
Just saw your post. That must have been interesting. I have also brewed beer, made wine, and liqueurs. I have actually started the beneficial bacteria cycle with ALCOHOL (vodka) in an aquarium a number of years ago. I could have used vinegar. I told the clerk the vodka was for my fish. She kind of gave me a polite whatever look.

The small additions and increases of alcohol were carefully charted and it worked. Using vinegar was supposed to work as well but required very large amounts of vinegar. Whereas it required a much smaller amount of alcohol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store