best substrate for jack dempseys

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
hey guys so my jack dempseys are not very colorful and someone pointed out that since my gravel is brown it wont have there color pop so i went and picked up some black gravel, but is gravel better or should i go with sand, currently i have a aqueon water changer with a 25 foot hose that i use to clean my gravel, i was worried this would suck up the sand. also im not sure which one is ideal for JD thanks.

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
Also what background is best for making there colors pop, like a black?

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Black I think the would be the best color, as for the type, I would say go for tiles if possible, you could also spray paint a piece of cardboard black and slip it under the tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Either one is fine, you might suck up a little bit of sand when you do your WC's, there is a technique to it that you will learn, you have to just skim the top. Or you can go with a large enough grain of sand that it can be vacuumed.
Brown or black, the fish don't care, it's up to you

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
Either one is fine, you might suck up a little bit of sand when you do your WC's, there is a technique to it that you will learn, you have to just skim the top. Or you can go with a large enough grain of sand that it can be vacuumed.
Brown or black, the fish don't care, it's up to you
i just noticed my fish are so dull and i want to have there color really pop so im gonna go black, i like the look of sand but dont want to suck it up during wc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store