Bgk tankmates?

DC5 NYchris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2016
New to mfk. I recently got a 55gal but never set it up yet, also have a 29gallon just cycling, anyway I was wondering if it's possible to put a bgk and a red tail barracuda in the 55 for about a year? I was thinking I'd wait till the bgk grew just big enough where the cuda wont mess with it and not to the point he's too big for the 55 because I assume within a years time Mabey less that the bgk would outgrow it. I used to have a rtc that was given to men and had him in the 29gal unaware how rapidly they grow but he had died from new tank syndrome anyway before that could happen. Also I've read they're sensitive to medications and certain water parameters. Any information is appreciated

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yes you can have the two together. The cuda will be fine for life in there. The bgk can grow to 20inches and not sure what size is ur 55g. If it's a CB bgk then it shouldn't get to 20inches. So it'll likely be ok in a 55g. Keep in mind cudas like to be in groups and some floating plants will keep the stress down.

Bgk is nocturnal so needs a hiding place. Yes they are sensitive to meds. Gotta do about half dose for meds. Salt about the same as well.

Welcome to mfk.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Yes you can have the two together. The cuda will be fine for life in there. The bgk can grow to 20inches and not sure what size is ur 55g. If it's a CB bgk then it shouldn't get to 20inches. So it'll likely be ok in a 55g. Keep in mind cudas like to be in groups and some floating plants will keep the stress down.

Bgk is nocturnal so needs a hiding place. Yes they are sensitive to meds. Gotta do about half dose for meds. Salt about the same as well.

Welcome to mfk.
I sold my BGK because well I never saw it lol literally never saw it eating or saw it. Good luck

Reactions: Davidiator

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I sold my BGK because well I never saw it lol literally never saw it eating or saw it. Good luck
Yea that's a big problem with bgk's. Could always look at a African brown knife. It'll be out more and be interactive. Can get along with a cuda as well.

DC5 NYchris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2016
It's just one of the petco ones. It'll be a few weeks till I set it up. Being the cudas like to be in groups I was afraid they'd tear the bgk apart given the opportunity even if he did have a place to hide and I wouldn't want it hiding all the time

14623164806031512121564.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Cudas look mean cause of their teeth. They are big push overs. Unless ur a rosy red or small goldfish they ain't not gonna be a prob for ur bgk.

Reactions: DC5 NYchris

DC5 NYchris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2016
Good to know. It's said tho that you should keep atleast 6 of the cudas to avoid aggression, and if he's by himself he could be very skiddish. Would it be ok to add Mabey a pictus or a tire track in there as well?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
3-4 or more to keep them unstressed. They don't get aggressive with each other really. Even with 1-2. With a group it allows them to act normal. Pictus is ok. Eel gets to big for ur tank if I remember correctly.

DC5 NYchris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2016
Gotcha, once I get the stand etc I'll keep it simple and see how it goes. Thinking about going with the 406 for filtration

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
New to mfk. I recently got a 55gal but never set it up yet, also have a 29gallon just cycling, anyway I was wondering if it's possible to put a bgk and a red tail barracuda in the 55 for about a year? I was thinking I'd wait till the bgk grew just big enough where the cuda wont mess with it and not to the point he's too big for the 55 because I assume within a years time Mabey less that the bgk would outgrow it. I used to have a rtc that was given to men and had him in the 29gal unaware how rapidly they grow but he had died from new tank syndrome anyway before that could happen. Also I've read they're sensitive to medications and certain water parameters. Any information is appreciated
Welcome aboard :)

Reactions: DC5 NYchris
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store