• NO WAY!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Good afternoon! (Or morning, or night)

First post here. Quick back ground, most of my experience is with koi and goldfish. Between the ponds I own and the neighborhood ponds that I help maintain and advise, I’ve been taking care of about ten koi ranging from 23” to 34”, and more goldfish than I could count if I wanted to for perhaps five years now. I also have three indoor tanks and am currently breeding a line of bluegrass guppies from show parent stock.
All of this has little to do with Bichir, but I figure an introduction was in order.
My question concerns Senegal Bichir tank dimensions. I’ve read plenty of forums saying 55 is a bare minimum and 100+ is better. I’ve also seen tons of people explain that length and width is much more important than height since they take supplemental gulps of air from the surface.
So would a Zoomed 50 gallon lowboy aquarium be suitable for a Senegal Bichir? 48”x24”....and 10” high. While 4 feet by two feet is great for most Bichir, I feel like 10” May be TOO low. I’m not concerned about the water quality that may result from the smaller volume, it would end up being hooked up to a canister filter and then run through a sump. Im just wondering if the 10” height, which, when space to breathe and a possible sand bed is factored in, would probably result in 8” of water, would be TOO shallow? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That sounds fine actually! I don't see any issues, just keep it covered!

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
8 or so deep is perfect for a sen, you could also add a piece of driftwood that pierces the waters surface for a more aesthetic look

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
That’s great news, thank you!! And yes, there will be driftwood and floating plants at the very least. One side will likely have a led bar over thicker substrate and likely a dwarf Lilly or two held down with thin slabs of river rock (worn smooth) and heavily planted fern and anubias. I know they can be terrors to plants just by scooting around, but the chance to scape a large tank as a bog or river shore is too cool a project to pass up.
Question. If I do have driftwood coming above the water line, will a Bichir crawl up on it like a mudskipper or lungfish might? Or crawl up to the waterline to poke its head out? Crocodile-esque?
Not the end of the world if they don’t. But it’d be super cool.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That’s great news, thank you!! And yes, there will be driftwood and floating plants at the very least. One side will likely have a led bar over thicker substrate and likely a dwarf Lilly or two held down with thin slabs of river rock (worn smooth) and heavily planted fern and anubias. I know they can be terrors to plants just by scooting around, but the chance to scape a large tank as a bog or river shore is too cool a project to pass up.
Question. If I do have driftwood coming above the water line, will a Bichir crawl up on it like a mudskipper or lungfish might? Or crawl up to the waterline to poke its head out? Crocodile-esque?
Not the end of the world if they don’t. But it’d be super cool.
They aren't gonna crawl out, but they do come to the waters surface to breath air.

Another fun idea: put some fossils in the tank, for more prehistoric feel.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Welcome from me as well!

I think this will be great!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com