Bichirs in a planted paludarium?

Bad Kitty

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
First off, I have been researching my favorite fish. Every time I have a question about Bichirs, Google has turned me to this forum (literally every time lol). So I figured Why not join?

I use the term paludarium loosely. Idealy I am looking to get an Aqueon 210. The top 5-7 inches or so will be the "land" feature. Given the size of the background I am making, It will roughly take 3 inches off the width and accounting for substrate depth it comes out to about 140-150 gallons with a large footprint for bottom friendly fish (still leaving around 20" of water volume from substrate to land feature). So here are my questions

1. How would bichirs do with large plants such as a few amazon sword, valisneria gigantea (sorry for spelling) and large leaf anubias such as coffefolia?

2. Next, the Bichirs! I want around 3 18" (adult sized) Bichirs that are moderately peaceful with large tank mates of equal size. I would love to have an Ornate but have heard they are too aggressive for certain tank mates (see 3.). So I have settled on Endlicheri Bichir and I would like to have 2 other species that play nice and are comparable in size.

3. Tank mates that occupy the footprint of the tank. I would like a BGK and suggestions lol. I have thought about equally sized plecos perhaps even reedfish but would like experience or opinions on the matter.

4. Tank mates that would occupy the mid to top of the tank. I Just don't want cichlids, Looking for suggestions that would be safe with the bichirs that are around 12". Smaller than the Bichirs but still big enough to not be lunch or bullied. I will have a few large caves for the more nocturnal tank inhabitants built into the background.

5. The substrate under the 50-54" Land shelf will likely be pool filter sand and the other 1.5'-2' will be Black Diamond Blasting Sand. The latter is the substrate the majority of the plants will be in.

Bonus Question, Anyone have any good ideas about inhabitants that would use the land without going in the water? Or a suggestion that would use a small lake on the surface instead of the shoreline to their imminent demise lol.

Any experience, questions, opinions or criticism is welcome. Thanks in advance for just reading all that and for all of the unknowing help this forum has provided me.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome to the forum.

My suggestion would be to look at some lapradeis. If going with endlis as will complement well.

Th bgk will grow slow. The polys would definitely outgrow it quick. Need to look at large bgk. Maybe even older ones returned to an lfs or one already grown out.

As for cichlids and potential tankmates. I suggest DMD123 DMD123 , J jaws7777 , Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 , tlindsey tlindsey .

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard :) As kno4te kno4te stated Endli's can be aggressive also but it depends on the personality of the Endli, as far as tankmates are concerned almost any specie of fish with the same parameters with the exception of slow growing , overly aggressive or any fish that is big enough to be swallowed whole should be avoided.

Bad Kitty

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Im not really good with cichlids, but a non aggressive that grows big, ill go for severum. As for land species most lizard will try to swim, and if you have a 18" polys, most likely land species will become dinner.
It is a nice fish but I am trying to stay away from cichlids this time. I have been racking my brain with what else I can put on it. May just put some feeder worms in there every once in a while. Couldn't really think of anything else that wouldn't become a snack

Bad Kitty

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Ive seen a whole frog got eaten by polys, they will deathroll if they cant swallow a food, and them doing a deathroll they can hurt themselves of ruin you decor and plants.
I absolutely agree.
Wow I never knew they did that. I definitely don't want that. I can't remember the name but they are a green worm that has spikes on it. They use them as feeders to reptiles and they are about 3 inches long and meal worm. Then just put branches leading off into the water with their food sources on it.

Bad Kitty

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
As for the BGK I can get around 9-10inches and the Endli I can get at either 2 or 4-5 inches. Would either one of these combinations work or would the BGK still have to be bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store