Big fishes that are ok with small fishes...

sturgeonlover

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
New York
Hey guys,
so getting back into the hobby. I have a 360 gallon that I'm looking to start putting fish into. I really want to keep a set of a 100-200 small schooling fishes (possible gold tetras) and other small bottom feeders and maybe some shrimps. What I wanted to know was... which BIG fish (vegi eaters I guess), I can keep in there that wont kill/eat everyone. Please let me know. Thank you.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Hey guys,
so getting back into the hobby. I have a 360 gallon that I'm looking to start putting fish into. I really want to keep a set of a 100-200 small schooling fishes (possible gold tetras) and other small bottom feeders and maybe some shrimps. What I wanted to know was... which BIG fish (vegi eaters I guess), I can keep in there that wont kill/eat everyone. Please let me know. Thank you.
I've had Angelfish that devour live shrimp whole. At the point that they did that there body was about 1-1.5" in diameter. I would think anything larger than a tetra would kill those shrimp.

sturgeonlover

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
New York
I've had Angelfish that devour live shrimp whole. At the point that they did that there body was about 1-1.5" in diameter. I would think anything larger than a tetra would kill those shrimp.
Ouch. no shrimps. Just fish. But I really want a school of a 100-200 tetras. So what fishes would you recommend that wont kill/eat everything and grows up. Just want some large guys because they are much more entertaining.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
If you don't get shrimp, you could try Balas, Flagtails, a Blood Parrot. A smaller eel may work, like half banded spiny eel. They have lots of personality and only get 8". You could also try Angels, Firemouths, and Acaras. I would prefer an Electric Blue Acara for the color, even though they can be a little pricey. Geophagus are also good if you want your sand to look clean (if you use sand).

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
It also depends on what you mean by large. The Angels only get 6" in diameter, and Acaras get about the same length. Firemouths are even smaller at 4-5". Balas on the other hand get about 12-14" and 15-16" if yours grows well. Flagtails grow around the same size.

asterophysus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Canada

It's luck of the draw, but some Mbu puffers are very peaceful -- others not so much. If successful, you get one of the most personable fish out there. Generally, Discus are a good bet.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store