Biggest Fish you will accomodate in your current tank

Chad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Do any of you taking the time to bash Ivan's tanks have any of the fish he houses? Have experience with any of them? Ivan cares for his fish better than most people care for their kids. I personally have watched him drop THOUSANDS into his systems and fish. More than some of you have in your houses. If you have houses. Take care of your own tanks and only dream of the day that you can have the fish Ivan houses.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
roger that

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
OK.. now back on topic .. play nice now or this thread will be locked.
This is all about YOUR tank and your tank only.

So the question still stands, how big of a fish can are you willing to put in your tank ?
P45 - 12 inches in a 200G?? :WHOA: Cmon...

Chad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
hmm...it's a topic that most people who keep large predators think about constantly. I currently have several 2-3 foot gars that I'm building a pond for. I do think you can judge whether a fish is "Comfortable" in a tank. From time to time I move certain fish around in my tanks, give them time to settle and determine whether the tank can properly house them. If the tank is too small, you know fairly soon.

Chad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
One more thing, I don't believe all fish are the same. One fish may be comfortable in a tank twice the length of it....one may need a tank much bigger. It's really an individual species thing and if you start making hardfast rules, you will be sure to run into problems.

alfon76

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Guys, I appreciate the support from all of you (Wes, Chad, Diesel and the others as well) but please don't get drawn into this any more than you need to. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but I don't think it is to the point of bashing someone else's tanks or fishes. If you don't like it fine but don't come preaching your BS to me.

When you can actually keep fishes like the ones I have from babies to adults and be able to purchase and properly house adults, then come and preach to me all your BS. Until then, save your attitude and comments for the people who actually care to hear them.
I merely posted that pic because I thought it was amazing how they piled up to beg for food and not to cause this "fish ethics" problem. You don't like it, fine.... keep it to yourself or talk to me about it, not others that have no clue what they are talking about.
Why don't you start a thread to bash all the Japanese owners in the MFK magazines? Yet we all buy the books to admire their tanks and collections.

And HarleyK, no need to upgrade anything for the arapaima but thanks for your "genuine" concern.

Ivan

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Chad said:
hmm...it's a topic that most people who keep large predators think about constantly. I currently have several 2-3 foot gars that I'm building a pond for. I do think you can judge whether a fish is "Comfortable" in a tank. From time to time I move certain fish around in my tanks, give them time to settle and determine whether the tank can properly house them. If the tank is too small, you know fairly soon.
Yes.. So true.. We all think about that issue all the time. There are many different ideas of how "comfortable" a fish should be in a tank. Some would like a tank so spacious that fish should not see another fish and some like to pack em like socks in a drawer. Im somewhat in the radical middle. A bit packed but i definitely dont like a tank that lacks activity.

Chad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Exactly, I think it's a balance between what you want....and what you know, or think the fish should have.

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
alfon76 said:
Guys, I appreciate the support from all of you (Wes, Chad, Diesel and the others as well) but please don't get drawn into this any more than you need to. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but I don't think it is to the point of bashing someone else's tanks or fishes. If you don't like it fine but don't come preaching your BS to me.

When you can actually keep fishes like the ones I have from babies to adults and be able to purchase and properly house adults, then come and preach to me all your BS. Until then, save your attitude and comments for the people who actually care to hear them.
I merely posted that pic because I thought it was amazing how they piled up to beg for food and not to cause this "fish ethics" problem. You don't like it, fine.... keep it to yourself or talk to me about it, not others that have no clue what they are talking about.
Why don't you start a thread to bash all the Japanese owners in the MFK magazines? Yet we all buy the books to admire their tanks and collections.

And HarleyK, no need to upgrade anything for the arapaima but thanks for your "genuine" concern.

Ivan
u make an excellent point u make its like dont buy an arrowanna if u only have a tank to accomadet the size of a babie. ur tank is asome i love it. :drool:

Adam

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
i've seen, in a 30"x30"x18" tank, like 70 gallons, with 4 arapaimas, grown from babies, they lived in there for 2 years, no deformities, ate heartily, vibrant colors, too bad i couldn't ask them if they were happy, but "seemed" from all external characteristics, happy to me :) maybe they were looking at me like you a hole, let us out, who know? but what some japanese do is they have a small swimming tank, lets say 100 gallons, but connected to a 500 gallon sump, and all the fish are living in clean water!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store