Black and Silver Arowanas Together?

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I have a baby black Arowana and was considering adding a silver while they are still small so they grow up accustomed to each other's company. Will that work?

They will be in a 400 gallon.

Additionally I was going to put some clown loaches and a royal plecostemus in there. I'm pretty sure the royal pleco will be fine. The clown loaches... should they also be OK?

If it makes a difference I've already trained the little guy onto prepared food and am *not* planning to offer feeder fish. Just don't want to get him in the habit of noshing on other fish unless they are in fillet form.

Brutus. Not all that impressive yet, but at the rate he's eating.... I have him trained onto Hikari Tropical Floating Carnivore Sticks broken into pieces, bloodworms, krill broken into pieces, NLS Float pellets and the occasional smacked housefly.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
They can be kept together, clown loaches may or may not work long term, getting them to eat live crickets and mealworms regularly is both good for them and tends to keep them from seeing other fish as food

Reactions: Serpentine

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Yes, I think I am going to stick with just the black Arowana.

My understanding--correct me if I'm wrong--is that they tend to be a bit slimmer in build and slightly smaller overall. Does this translate to better success with tank mates such as clown loaches?

Other tank mates considered thus far, in addition to the royal pleco and clown loaches: Large adult angelfish, a blood parrot and / or Uarus.

I love the idea of Geophagus abalios or Red Head Tapajos eartheaters but think that they will become snacks.

I also briefly considered putting a female Red Terror and a male Red Texas cichlid in there just because there will be so much room but decided they were too aggressive for any potential tank mates such as the royal pleco and might even be too much for the Arowana.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store