Black Diamond Sand Blasting Sand

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
So u think this stuff is a no go for aquariums? I was gonna grab a bag after work tomar but am still a lil worried about my polys.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I don't think it'll hurt the poly's. Mine are fine. So are my eartheaters....I just noticed that they haven't been sifting through it, so I'm thinking those long stick-like things must poke their mouths. It does not hurt their bellies at all, just like it doesn't hurt at all when you run your hands through it. I'll be taking the stuff out of the 100 and putting it in my shrimp tank, since my Geo's don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
I'm pretty sure those long pieces aren't glass. I have them in mine too but they're not sharp and didn't break the same way glass does when I was messing around with 'em.

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
I'm pretty sure those long pieces aren't glass. I have them in mine too but they're not sharp and didn't break the same way glass does when I was messing around with 'em.
Any idea what they're made of? They're not sharp like they're going to hurt you when you touch them, but I am concerned that when a Geo is moving it around in their mouths and through their gills that it will get stuck or hurt them.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Any idea what they're made of? They're not sharp like they're going to hurt you when you touch them, but I am concerned that when a Geo is moving it around in their mouths and through their gills that it will get stuck or hurt them.

Yea that's a little sketchy, wonder if there's a way to sift them put with a screen and bucket. If I were you guys id grab a handful and rub both hands together to make sure it doesn't scratch you! Be careful tho!

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
I got nothing to do tonight so if I grab some ill try and get the larger peices out

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
First, note this from wiki:

In science, however, the term glass is usually defined in a much wider sense, including every solid that possesses a non-crystalline (i.e., amorphous) structure and that exhibits a glass transition when heated towards the liquid state. In this wider sense, glasses can be made of quite different classes of materials: metallic alloys, ionic melts, aqueous solutions, molecular liquids, and polymers.
From what I'm reading on the manufacturing process, and given the above, those little pieces scientifically would be referred to as glass, but they're not what we commonly think of as glass, as they're not mostly made of silica.

The shape and look of the pieces isn't because they're putting broken pieces of glass in or something, it's because during the melting, hardening, and processing, some of it comes out looking glass-like.

I highly doubt they're going to injure your fish as is, nor are they going to shatter in tank and turn sharp.
There are fish safe pet store substrates that have even sharper pieces, like the marine sands which have broken pieces of shells, yet sand sifting fish still seem to deal with them just fine.

A description of coal slag (more technically referred to as boiler slag, since apparently coal slag is a catch all for various products that aren't related to black diamond):
http://www.rmrc.unh.edu/tools/uguidelines/cbabs1.asp

When the molten slag comes in contact with the quenching water, the ash fractures instantly, crystallizes, and forms pellets.
If you wanna do more research, search for the more technical term, Boiler Slag.

rwellbaum

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store