Black Ghost Knife

danichan19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Indio, ca.
Can anyone help me...

I have a small 4-5 in bgk (Edison) in a 75 gal with a pleco (Mendalive) & some filler fish (tetras, 1angel, guppies). I have been looking for a suitable larger (possibly Cichlid-like) tankmates to go with him. However, choices are limited because Edison is so gentle, I don't want anything to happen to him...
I was thinking about Red hump eartheaters, rams, or mbuna.... but how many? Can I get a mix?

Thanks everyone!

sparx_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2011
london

have had mine for about a year and he is about 7" - 9" inches now
Lives happily in a 200 L tank feeding fuirously on Bloodworm and pellats
he eats out of our hands and is extremly friendly , probably one of the most entertaining and pet like fish I have ever owned. He makes funny clicking sounds at night oh and he loves cucmber aand earthworms if i can find them
LOVE THESE FISH !

Oblong Cheese

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Australia

have had mine for about a year and he is about 7" - 9" inches now
Lives happily in a 200 L tank feeding fuirously on Bloodworm and pellats
he eats out of our hands and is extremly friendly , probably one of the most entertaining and pet like fish I have ever owned. He makes funny clicking sounds at night oh and he loves cucmber aand earthworms if i can find them
LOVE THESE FISH !
I think you will find that your "he" is actually a she!

From the angle of the photo it is difficult to tell, but I believe your BGK is a female. It has a shorter and blunter head shape and the slope from the top of the head to the tip of the nose is steep.

Males heads are longer from the top to the tip of the nose and the angle is shallower. They're also generally thinner in the face.

Here is my female BGK:

Apteronotus albifrons (black ghost knife fish) by thejimmydimple, on Flickr

Jamesa3211

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
Ruston ,LA
These black ghost knifes r one of the coolest fish i have. I have two one in my 55gal and one in my 100 gal. Both r extremely active and will eat right my hand. Paid $21 for one and $9.99 for the other at my local pet store

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store