Black Ghost Knife

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I could use some advice with my bgk. I have a 210 gallon with a lot of large fish in it, including a 10in arowana and a 12in clown knife. I worry that my bgk is too small to join them right now, so I have him separated in a smaller tank (5gal) but he won't grow. He's about 4in long, I'd like him to get at least 8 before he joins the others.

I know 5gal is very small, but is there any way to get him to grow more before he joins the others?
I’d suggest getting a bigger grow out tank for it. BGK aren’t really the fastest growers, but you not uncommon get it to grow to 8” in 6 months time from 4”. The bigger the tank, the more frequent high protein diet, and the cleaner the water, you can hit that target. I’d get a minimum 29g (40g breeder of 55g a lot better) with good filtration and stable heating, feed bloodworms and cut shrimp, and 50% weekly water changes

Reactions: amazontank

Oglesbytx

Feeder Fish
May 28, 2018
Hello all. New member here and glad I found this page!! But in my stupidity over the weekend my wife and I stopped at a new fish store and I purchased a bgk around 4” and a silver arowana about 3”. I should have done my research before hand but I was absolutely mesmerized by both! Sooo long story short I’m now a monster fish keeper (not upset at all, but my wife wasn’t to thrilled as she was researching both fish on the way home). I currently have a 65g breeder with a few other fish in it and I am feeding a mix of tropical flakes, freeze dried blood worms, shrimp pellets, and marine pellets is this a good mix for the Bgk? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Reactions: amazontank

Buc_Nasty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
California
65 isn’t big enough for either of them never mind both.
I got a 3” BGK at petco and grew it to 14” in a 90g. That was smallest borderline acceptable size tank but I sold to someone with a 125 which was much better for it

Oglesbytx

Feeder Fish
May 28, 2018
65 isn’t big enough for either of them never mind both.
I got a 3” BGK at petco and grew it to 14” in a 90g. That was smallest borderline acceptable size tank but I sold to someone with a 125 which was much better for it
Thank you, I’m def. getting a bigger tank ASAP was already planning on upgrading but now I have a legitimate reason to give the wife Is it safe to keep them in a tank together? And what’s the smallest tank that could work for them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store