Black Ghost Knifefish tank mates

Smthknt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
Iowa
Hello everyone!

My wife and I recently upgraded from a 55 gallon to a 150 gallon tank when we realized that our BGK, albeit a baby, would eventually outgrow his tank. He currently has a few other tank mates - 2 clown loaches, a dragon goby, 3 neon tetras, a chinese algae eater and a betta (Leroy) with half a tail. We had a tiger oscar shortly before our BGK that died after eating our baby pleco and half of Leroy's tail.

We are trying to figure out what other interesting fishes we can add so we have some activity towards the top.. other than the chinese algae eater zipping around the tank and poor Leroy of coarse. We like colorful and flashy 'look at me' fish. We also like odd and unusual fish as well.

Thanks!

FeeshTank.jpg

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
I would say do a pair of red severum or a couple Geophagus with the bgk would be pretty cool. Could also add a few more clown loaches

Reactions: tlindsey

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
your neons will disappear when your BGK grows a bit, giant danios will work for a while up top but inevitably they'll go too.

I used to have spanner barbs, they were mediumish sized, interesting colours and interactive; they get my vote :)

Smthknt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
Iowa
Thank you for the reply's!

I would say do a pair of red severum or a couple Geophagus with the bgk would be pretty cool. Could also add a few more clown loaches
Geophagus are pretty cool. My wife showed me something like that but it had a different name that referred to the fins. We've been trying to figure out what it was she showed me since I saw your post lol.

Would Royal Clown Loaches mix with the clowns I have now or would it be better to get more regular clown loaches if we do get more?

your neons will disappear when your BGK grows a bit, giant danios will work for a while up top but inevitably they'll go too.

I used to have spanner barbs, they were mediumish sized, interesting colours and interactive; they get my vote :)
The neon's are just there counting their days until they become lunch :D. We've had them since we did our first tank cycle in our old 55 gallon. Our LFS had some spanner barbs but I didn't know they got big enough to stay out of the BGK's mouth. Are there any other barbs that could mix with a BGK?

Arrowana or variety of gar
We did want to get a few Gar but the smallest true gar we could find was the Spotted Gar and they still eventually get too long to turn around in our 72x18x28. But, false gars are still on my mind. Rocket Gar's (Hujeta Gar) are really interesting.

I would LOVE to have an Arowana but don't those get up to 4 feet long?

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Aro would be a no-no in that tank. You can put just about anything with them, so long as they aren't food sized. Just 1 BGK per tank, and nothing too aggressive. BGK don't have scales so anything that nips at them is trouble.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Thank you for the reply's!

Geophagus are pretty cool. My wife showed me something like that but it had a different name that referred to the fins. We've been trying to figure out what it was she showed me since I saw your post lol.

Would Royal Clown Loaches mix with the clowns I have now or would it be better to get more regular clown loaches if we do get more?

The neon's are just there counting their days until they become lunch :D. We've had them since we did our first tank cycle in our old 55 gallon. Our LFS had some spanner barbs but I didn't know they got big enough to stay out of the BGK's mouth. Are there any other barbs that could mix with a BGK?

We did want to get a few Gar but the smallest true gar we could find was the Spotted Gar and they still eventually get too long to turn around in our 72x18x28. But, false gars are still on my mind. Rocket Gar's (Hujeta Gar) are really interesting.

I would LOVE to have an Arowana but don't those get up to 4 feet long?
Royal clowns would be fine. But they are significantly more expensive than regular clowns

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Loaches are good, some of the smaller bichir would be fine, most south and central American cichlids will do well. No Africans. You could also do some of the smaller fancy plecos. Green phantoms are my favorite.

Smthknt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2015
Iowa
Royal clowns would be fine. But they are significantly more expensive than regular clowns
Oh dang. Yeah they are more expensive than I thought!

Also, I think the geos you are referring to are winemilleri.
Those are cool, but I figured out what my wife was talking about. The Acarichthys Heckelii, Threadfin Cichlid.

Are Green Phantom's a poop machine's like common plecos?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store