Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have a big blood parrot, about 10" long. He's also a good 3 inches thick and 6-7 inches tall. He has that trademarked triangular mouth, but he's more of a pink color with black outlined fins. He also has a sort of nuchal hum i guess you could call it- that dip between the head and back on other BP's for him is filled with just a small lump. No dip between the head and back. What is he? King kong parrot or red mammon???
I got him from petsmart when he was a baby... He hadn't even peeled yet lol!
I've had him for 7 years now and he's still growing...

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
here ya go:
PHOTO_20171205_184538.jpg PHOTO_20171205_184540.jpg PHOTO_20171205_184545.jpg
special thanks to my BP for cooperating with the camera...
he lead me over to an open spot in the tank when he saw me and started swimming around like he was posing for the camera!
he seems to like getting his picture taken. (I've taken lots of pictures of him on other devices)
sorry for the glare, I was using a flashlight to see him in the dark, there are no lights in that room.

Reactions: ad88

D3b@rr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
it looks like it was tattoo'd at some point, glad he's with someone that will make up for that awful treatment, if indeed that is the case.

Aside from the awful tattooing, it looks like a normal, very bulky BP :)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Nope, never tattoo'd, I got him as a baby before he even peeled. (peeling as in the transition from the grey and black baby colors to the bright orange/pink in midas, RDs and BPs)
if you're wondering about the scars- he's just so big that when he freaks out he crashes into everything. Also he likes to dig and break things... He SHATTERED the piece of driftwood I had in there.

got him when he looked like this. This isn't him, or my picture... ownership goes to whoever took it...

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Not really sure but some can have dark markings that stay forever. I've seen a few like yours and even some midas/red devil/midevils have permanent dark marks. Here's an old BP I had that had a lot of dark markings, especially on the fins like yours. Great looking parrot btw!

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks!
and yeah, I guess he'll have the markings for the rest of his life, he got them when he was around 5. (he's 7 now)

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Thanks!
and yeah, I guess he'll have the markings for the rest of his life, he got them when he was around 5. (he's 7 now)
Did he or she have the notch between the head and back when young? How was the growth rate?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
yes he did have that notch. as for growth- er... i'd say about an inch or two a year.
and he's still growing.
last year he only measured at about 7-8 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store