Blue acara tank mates?

JWinter

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2017
I have a 55g with a two synos, a couple of BNs, a pair of blue acara and one gourami.
I'm going to sell the gourami, but what can I get to go with the acara?

I love the look of frontosa, but I'm getting mixed opinions from research as to if they would be suitable or not. Some websites say they can be quite peaceful and others say they are aggressive and territorial.
Although they have different origins, it's looking like their tank conditions are pretty similar so I'm thinking it could work in that sense.
If frontosa aren't compatible, what other fish will go? IMG_20171116_180039.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 55g with a two synos, a couple of BNs, a pair of blue acara and one gourami.
I'm going to sell the gourami, but what can I get to go with the acara?

I love the look of frontosa, but I'm getting mixed opinions from research as to if they would be suitable or not. Some websites say they can be quite peaceful and others say they are aggressive and territorial.
Although they have different origins, it's looking like their tank conditions are pretty similar so I'm thinking it could work in that sense.
If frontosa aren't compatible, what other fish will go? View attachment 1284712

Tbh never kept Frontosa's but most African species are too aggressive for the Blue Acara. Also a 55 is too small for a Frontosa. I suggest adding a group of tetra.

Reactions: Covetous

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
+1 Frontosa is too large for a 55. If anything I’d do some top layer fish, swordtails, tetra’s something like that to add more life. I’d stay away from other cichlids. Especially If your acaras have good chemistry.

Maybe you could do an Apistogramma pair. I love those little guys.

Reactions: tlindsey

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
The real question is what do you want out of tank mates? If you want action it is hard to beat some good livebearers. I like Limias but swords and mollies would work fine. Tetras are another great idea. A big school of red and blue Colombians would look nice, other options are congos, serpae, bloodfin, redeyes, black neons, or hatchets. I think the hatchets would look great in there. If you have to have a cichlid I would think firemouths would be ok, or something like rainbow cichlids. They should work out fine as long as no one spawns. Kribensis would be another idea.

If you are looking for bottom fish then a school of Melini cories would be fun. A group of yoyo or Burmese loaches would be fun as well. There may be some debate about this but I think an African brown knife would probably work out ok in there if you want an oddball. Spiny or peacock eels would also be cool oddballs.

It probably goes without saying but pick and choose from this list. Don't do all of these.

The tank looks great by the way. My plants don't usually look that good with BNs in there.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Very nice looking tank. Good suggestions here for tankmates. I would add a small school of tetras personally, maybe a trio of bolivian rams if you want more cichlids.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Nice tank and the cat looks very chilled sitting on top.
I have a breeding pair of EBAs with a group of orange head tapajos in a 120G. They all get along fine but your tank may be a bit small for a nice sized crew of tapajos.
I think the above suggestion of Colombian tetra would work well or a nice school of rummy noses. It's such a relaxing looking tank you don't want to spoil the vibe with a bunch of aggressive fish brawling all the time.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
i keep mine with other acaras and severums. they squabble over the good breeding spots sometimes but are more or less peaceful. my one male blue acara can hang with my jd and flowerhorn too but the other ones get viciously attacked for some reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store