Blue Botia compatibility

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
I am tempted to try blue Botia sometime. Have not had them before. What other tankmates have failed? Thanks!
Rtbs and cichlids. Cos they're ninja warriors, esp the matriarch. Hides in the day, strikes after dark. They come out more often with the geos. More clicks and clacks too. Haha

Reactions: FJB

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
I've kept my Y. Modestas with African Cichlids, Tinfoil, Filamentosa, Tiger, & Denison Barbs. They also do well with big Tetras.
The Modestas can hold their own against larger new world Cichlids as well.
Tried tinfoil but moved them away. They tend to hog the food like pigs. They're never satiated

Reactions: FJB

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Interesting thread this and I am glad you bought the fish in the end and seem to be enjoying them

I have had 5 for 18 months now that live in a tank with 7 clown loach, stingrays, tiger fish, gar and arowana

I keep the tank well fed and the loach have no problems at 6" with the bigger fish and seem happy and active enough. They are more shy than the clowns and use the hiding tubes and the clowns and blues clans are seperate but when the blues are out usually at night near feeding time they look fantastic. I would love more

Reactions: Al KW Tan

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
Interesting thread this and I am glad you bought the fish in the end and seem to be enjoying them

I have had 5 for 18 months now that live in a tank with 7 clown loach, stingrays, tiger fish, gar and arowana

I keep the tank well fed and the loach have no problems at 6" with the bigger fish and seem happy and active enough. They are more shy than the clowns and use the hiding tubes and the clowns and blues clans are seperate but when the blues are out usually at night near feeding time they look fantastic. I would love more
Haha.. 5 seems to be the magic number for them to thrive. I think they are shy only when there're people around. They actually seem more boisterous and territorial than the clowns esp from dusk onwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonas

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Haha.. 5 seems to be the magic number for them to thrive.
Too few. They need large groups, that is how they are found in the rivers here, in groups sometimes hundreds together.

I would say twenty is the minimum to keep in a tank, although more is better. You need a fair sized tank, as they can get quite big.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store