Blue lobster vs. Filter. Odds on survival?

leebee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I recently (5 days ago) added a blue lobster, approx size 2 inches, to my cichlid based aquarium. My Jack Demsey somehow managed to knock of the skimmer of the filter tube and somehow the lobster got inside. Its a high powered filter, so I am assuming the suction aided in his entrapment....

Initially, I thought the cichlids ate the lobster when I noticed he disappeared. 2 days later I woke to find my tank very cloudy. I instantly went to clean the filters and tank. Upon removing the tube, the lobster fell out. Unfortunately, he lost both claws and a hind leg.

Prior to this incident the lobster was extremely active and now just sits in the corner of the tank. He has not moved for a few days now. He seems to be eating as the food I drop to him disappears and the cichlids do not disturb the lobster. I have also noticed position changes and redness on his sides that were not there before.

I can not find valuable information on the blue lobster. I know not to remove the molted shell as the lobster will eat and I know the right diet for health and growth. What I don't know is... Will he survive the filter mishap? Will his claws grow back? Will loosing the claws trigger a molt? Should I move the lobster to a solitude tank? The filter did not kill the lobster, I feel I should give the lobster the best odds possible.

Thanks for the help.
=D

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
For best chance of survival solo tank with clean water is definitely your best bet...

Coz without claws to defend himself he could end up as a snack, also when they molt they are most vulnerable...

As for the claws, i think they do grow back but can take a few molts before happening if i remember correctly...

Reactions: leebee

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
I'm gonna take a guess that its an electric blue crayfish yes? I personally would keep him in his own tank for his over all well being. Speaking from experience they dont do well with cichlids. Mine had plenty of hiding spots. I went away for a weekend and he molted. Lets just say they ripped him apart shortly after. So in general I would not keep him with cichlids for that reason. Mine were small Africans at the time and he was bigger than them. Just to give you a better image.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the others, a freshly molted crawfish (blue or what ever) is cichlid chow .
Decades ago I used to feed full grown crawfish (5" or so) from the bait shop to my medium to large cichlids (Oscars , managuense, etc) before I realized bait shop crawfish can carry parasites. I doubt it will survive long in your cichlid tank, depending on their size and species.
What other cichlids are in the tank?

leebee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I agree with the others, a freshly molted crawfish (blue or what ever) is cichlid chow .
Decades ago I used to feed full grown crawfish (5" or so) from the bait shop to my medium to large cichlids (Oscars , managuense, etc) before I realized bait shop crawfish can carry parasites. I doubt it will survive long in your cichlid tank, depending on their size and species.
What other cichlids are in the tank?
I have a jack demsey, 2 peacock demseys, electric yellow, 2 auratus and a lazy pleco in a 150 gallon tank. The Jack is the largest at 5 1/5 inches. Electric yellow at 4 1/4 and the others at 3 1/2. I have sectioned off the tank for the time being, but will definitely move the lobster to his own tank thanks to your suggestions.

Why do fish shops display them with tanks full of cichlids if they shouldnt be in the tank with them. In fact, why did the shop zoologist make it seem like my cichlids were in danager of the lobster?

I am aware of the molting and vunerability during this time, hence the glass seperator I had on hand. The claw mishap is definitely my fault for not double checking all components of the filter were in place and tight but tbh, I would have not gotten him if he was not meant to be in a tank of cichlids.

Thanks once again!

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
I have a jack demsey, 2 peacock demseys, electric yellow, 2 auratus and a lazy pleco in a 150 gallon tank. The Jack is the largest at 5 1/5 inches. Electric yellow at 4 1/4 and the others at 3 1/2. I have sectioned off the tank for the time being, but will definitely move the lobster to his own tank thanks to your suggestions.

Why do fish shops display them with tanks full of cichlids if they shouldnt be in the tank with them. In fact, why did the shop zoologist make it seem like my cichlids were in danager of the lobster?

I am aware of the molting and vunerability during this time, hence the glass seperator I had on hand. The claw mishap is definitely my fault for not double checking all components of the filter were in place and tight but tbh, I would have not gotten him if he was not meant to be in a tank of cichlids.

Thanks once again!
The sad truth is that a large portion of fish stores aren’t properly educated in all of their species (or even one sometimes) which ends up being a situation similar to yours where incompatible species are housed together simply because the shop either didn’t know or didn’t care and wanted to make the sale.

Truthfully, I, along with most here, wouldn’t keep African cichlids with American cichlids either, different water parameters, different behaviors, etc. That may be your choice and that’s fine, but often this is sold from stores as being fine because “a Cichlid is a Cichlid”.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although most of your cichlids are not large enough to swallow a crawfish whole, they are capable of ripping it to pieces over time. And the largest JD could do significant damage, offering an opportunity for the other smaller cichlids to move in and grab a bite.
At the time I was feeding crawdads, my largest cichlids were 10-12" and would swallow 5" most crawdads whole, but spew out, and create enough smaller pieces to allow the other smaller cichlids the leftovers.
But, I also agree, most LFSs are fairly clueless, and just figure, if they put the crawdads with species like lessor aggressive species like tetras, live bearers or other community species (that are their bread and butter), too many of the fish would disappear. A crawfish will eat any fish it can catch, and even small cichlids that sleep at night are vulnerable.

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
Right now they arent big enough to swallow it whole, but once they do reach that size he will eventually vanish. Honestly I dont know what you would keep with them. Aggressive fish will kill them, community fish will get killed. It's kinda hard to figure it all out.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Basically crays are for a species only tank, any tankmates you put in are expected to end up as food...

You could try and keep prolific breeders with the cray so that the fish colony always breeds faster than what the cray can eat, thats one of your options if you have to have them in a comm tank...

leebee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I have successfully moved the blue crayfish to his own 20 gallon tank. He does not seem to be affected by the lose of his claws and I am already seeing replacement stubs. I also called the fish shop and advised them of my concern of their ignorance of coercing me to buy the crayfish. While I fully admit and accept the filter mishap, I would have not bought the crayfish, if I knew it was not wise to mix them with the cichlids. Lesson I have learned!

I have always had a passion for the african cichlid, 'Jack Demsey'. This is my first time mixing cichlids. African vs. American. I did purchase all 6 cichlids simultaneously, from the same tank at this fish shop, all roughly the same size at the time. Other then their natural territorial behaviour, they do seem to get a long very well. I have had all of them for almost a year now. The electric yellow is the dominant cichlid of the tank, while the jack demsey is the peace maker.

Thank you kindly for all the information.
=D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store