Blue lobster

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
So my family made a stop at a fish store yesterday to get my son a new goldfish, but we left with more then just one fish of course;)

The store had this guy labeled as a blue lobster, I know it’s a crawfish of course.
I’ve been reading up as much as I can and care sounds simple. He is currently in a 75g with baby green terrors. The babies are 1 1/2” and under. And so far they were curious about him, but now that he has snapped at a couple they seem to keep their distance. And no worries, these guys are only in the tank for a short time.
I also have a large population of ramshorn snails in the tank.
The crawfish will be my focus so he can eat tank mates and I won’t hold it against him. Lol

The tank has a large algae mass I’ve been growing and attaching to the driftwood along with some plants I’m working on growing back. Eventually the tank will be heavily planted again.
Id really like to get a second crawfish. I think mine is male, but haven’t looked yet. My goal would be to have a pair.

Anyone have advice for me? Anything I should know or tips to keep this guy in good shape?
This is my first crawfish and I’d really hate to lose him due to newbie error.

Here he is, Sir. Rulean.
CC4FBFAC-E34C-4437-B1E7-93E8C1B71AC0.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So my family made a stop at a fish store yesterday to get my son a new goldfish, but we left with more then just one fish of course;)

The store had this guy labeled as a blue lobster, I know it’s a crawfish of course.
I’ve been reading up as much as I can and care sounds simple. He is currently in a 75g with baby green terrors. The babies are 1 1/2” and under. And so far they were curious about him, but now that he has snapped at a couple they seem to keep their distance. And no worries, these guys are only in the tank for a short time.
I also have a large population of ramshorn snails in the tank.
The crawfish will be my focus so he can eat tank mates and I won’t hold it against him. Lol

The tank has a large algae mass I’ve been growing and attaching to the driftwood along with some plants I’m working on growing back. Eventually the tank will be heavily planted again.
Id really like to get a second crawfish. I think mine is male, but haven’t looked yet. My goal would be to have a pair.

Anyone have advice for me? Anything I should know or tips to keep this guy in good shape?
This is my first crawfish and I’d really hate to lose him due to newbie error.

Here he is, Sir. Rulean.
View attachment 1337254

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
tlindsey tlindsey Thank you for the video. Very interesting:)

Crayfish like to turn planted tanks into plantless tanks, need suuffficient calcium in diet, and will escape thru any holes in the top of the aquarium
Escaping was my first concern. So I have blocked off the holes along the top by the filters. I’ll be cutting the plastic that attaches to the glass for a permanent fix.
I hope It will leave the plants alone. It really loves the algae mass so far and has been moving rocks around.
I’ll put some cuttle bone in the tank like I did for my apple snails.
Is there a certain food(s) that are high in calcium that I should be feeding?
For now it will be getting a mix of carnivore pellets, flake food, algae wafers, zucchini, and spinach. Oh, and any snails or baby terrors it decides to pick off.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That diet sounds fine, my crays loved a variety of foods,some foods I fed mine: chicken coated in flake food,algae (harvested from aquariums mostly), peas (cooked) and other cooked vegetables.

If your water is low in calcium add krill to the diet.

I liked to feed mine with barbecue skewer sticks, this helps them get the food quickly and keeps other fish from grabbing it all.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That diet sounds fine, my crays loved a variety of foods,some foods I fed mine: chicken coated in flake food,algae (harvested from aquariums mostly), peas (cooked) and other cooked vegetables.

If your water is low in calcium add krill to the diet.

I liked to feed mine with barbecue skewer sticks, this helps them get the food quickly and keeps other fish from grabbing it all.
I think my water has high calcium, but am not positive.
Thank you for the food recommendations and the feeding tip! I hadn’t thought to try that.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I had to move a few things around in the tank today, so I took this opportunity to take Sir. Rulean out to varify gender.
4CDC30C1-79F5-4DB3-A653-239F34987565.jpeg
He is indeed a male. Lol
I also measured him. F26A93E3-F4D3-4CF9-8E99-D28C7F1E587E.jpeg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I went back to the pet store today to get another crawfish. The poor worker had to check 6 blues, one orange, and their fireball crawfish before finding the one I was looking for.
I get home all excited I was able to get one of the opposite sex so I’ll have a pair. But something just wasn’t right....
I definitely had a male and a female, but I had it backwards! *facepalm*
My first crawfish is a female. So disregard my post above saying it’s a male. Lol. HER name is Sapphire
So the one I just picked up is a Male. So HE will be Sir. Rulean. Haha
And here they are Correctly labeled.
F4CB6CE6-E7CA-4BFA-B91C-A6E9442040BC.jpeg
8EA12D7C-5A47-4672-A0C6-DBA60C3AAA87.jpeg
And here is the new guy. He has claimed the opposite side of the tank from his mrs.
They have yet to meet one another.
5667187B-5904-4DBE-A267-23E4D46F0D90.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store