Blue Panaque and Corydora

MySleevesAreAlwaysWet

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2017
Hello all! I’ve been a lurker here for a while but finally made an account to post some questions I have.

I currently have a very established 75 gallon stocked with a motley crew of Corydora Catfish (a few Albinos, Juli, and Pandas) that essentially school. Most are fairly small. In the same tank I have 2 juvenile discus, a school of neon tetras, and a bunch of red cherry shrimp. (Not to mention a healthy dose of mystery snails). Tank is a sand substrate, moderately planted, with a custom rock wall backdrop covered in java moss and complete with a cave. The aquarium has a fair amount of driftwood, is about 80 degrees and has a decent current due to the oversized cannister filter.

Here’s my question, on a recent visit to my fish store I found a Pleco I can’t get over. It was labeled simply “Royal Pleco” but I believe more specifically it’s a Panaque after some research. Overall my tank seems like a pretty good fit for the Pleco from what I’ve read (maybe a bit small but it’s 5.5 inches or so currently and I am always open to eventually upgrading), except that from what I see they can be territorial. Would my Cory friends do well with the addition? Anyone have experience or advice to offer I would really appreciate it. (Also I know sometimes Plecos suck on Discus coat, but I would be diligent about feeding plenty of wafers and fresh veg which I believe would solve that.)

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: tlindsey

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
People tend not too keep panaque with discus because of their different dietary needs. As long your not feeding beef heart and a ton of blood worms you should be ok.

Other issue is water quality, panaque have alot of waste.

Up to you though, it should work with your stock.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all! I’ve been a lurker here for a while but finally made an account to post some questions I have.

I currently have a very established 75 gallon stocked with a motley crew of Corydora Catfish (a few Albinos, Juli, and Pandas) that essentially school. Most are fairly small. In the same tank I have 2 juvenile discus, a school of neon tetras, and a bunch of red cherry shrimp. (Not to mention a healthy dose of mystery snails). Tank is a sand substrate, moderately planted, with a custom rock wall backdrop covered in java moss and complete with a cave. The aquarium has a fair amount of driftwood, is about 80 degrees and has a decent current due to the oversized cannister filter.

Here’s my question, on a recent visit to my fish store I found a Pleco I can’t get over. It was labeled simply “Royal Pleco” but I believe more specifically it’s a Panaque after some research. Overall my tank seems like a pretty good fit for the Pleco from what I’ve read (maybe a bit small but it’s 5.5 inches or so currently and I am always open to eventually upgrading), except that from what I see they can be territorial. Would my Cory friends do well with the addition? Anyone have experience or advice to offer I would really appreciate it. (Also I know sometimes Plecos suck on Discus coat, but I would be diligent about feeding plenty of wafers and fresh veg which I believe would solve that.)

Thanks for reading!
Welcome aboard

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
I dont see any problems with having any kind of panaque with your current stock.

There is a problem with ID though. If its a blue panaque as in the description, they stay relatively small.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=42

If its a "royal" they can get very large, but they grow very slow. There is also a good chance they will eat your plants. You will also have to add wood to the tank for them to rasp on.

MySleevesAreAlwaysWet

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2017
Thanks all. I am having a hard time and doubting the ID because of the size, and I found huge discrepancies in info out there on max size for these guys. I’m certain it is around 5.5”, and when I look at Royal Plecos, the color variation don’t match this guy at all. He looks like the Panaque in color scheme (markings), is there something else it could be?

Also why would a high bloodworm/beef feeding negatively affect the Pleco? I would be sure to give him and the Corydoras their own diet of blanched veg. and algae wafers but is there something I’m missing?

Yes, good advice on the wood. I have some in there already and would also move a much larger piece in with the pleco that will be his very own from the beginning (quarantine tank). Thank you for that. As for water conditions, I will be extra diligent. Having recently acquired juvenile discus I’m currently doing about 35% water change daily as it is, and I would probably just maintain that schedule.

Thanks again to all!

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
Your title says blue panaque, and they generally have no markings, just a blue hue to them. Biggest one I have seen is 3.5". They are also not true panaques.

There are several types of royal plecos and most of them get 12"+ and their patterns are highly variable. The royals I have seen in the trade are(roughly from most common to least common): L190, L191, L330, L027, L090, L418, Cochliodon "blue eye"

MySleevesAreAlwaysWet

Feeder Fish
Dec 18, 2017
Exactly. This fish is a really beautiful deep blue color, no striations or patterns. If I remember correctly the tips of his dorsal and tail were ombré and faded to a grayish white. That’s it. Like dark blue armor! And the eyes were like gold and fire. Not light blue! I think I’m going to take a chance, set him up in my quarantine tank, and I’ll be able to post pictures for a better ID. If it turns out to be more than I’m equipped to handle then I’m confident I’ll be able to rehome to something more appropriate. Updates to come!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store