blueberry arowana?

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
I saw some in a pet store recently they are dyed. They had those and strawberry ones also
Sickens me to hear dyed fish are being sold in pet stores...:mad:

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
What? No reply from dyedfishguy......

Henco Lourens

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2019
I have a blueberry arawona and its really cool and healthy.I dont know how it turns blue but its really cool and my other fish in his tank is perfectly fine.IMG-20190912-WA0000.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hi Henco,

That is a dyed arowana. I take it you are from South Africa? Where did you get it? Dyed fish are very unethical :(
Also welcome to MFK!

Asian Exotics

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
South East Asia
Dyed fish is just sick......and very unethical. But if your fish is marketed as blueberry from the state of Selangor, Malaysia, I think I may know which shop is marketing it. If you're paying premium (I mean really premium price), you should expect your fish to be competition grade or at least has the potential for competition.

I know of only one dealer that markets his arowana in Malaysia as blueberry. And it doesn't come cheap. They are sort of one category below crossbelly.

You see, usually the belly part of a blue based arowana does not really have much colours. A lot of them are just white or off white. Some of them may be yellow. But there are some that has the base colours on all the scales including those scales on the belly. So the whole fish looks coloured. It is different from crossbelly as in crossbelly or polkadot have a dark intense base core colour on almost all scales on the body (hence polkadot).

But if it's not a dyed fish, it's a good quality one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store