brachyplatystoma rousseauxii Grow out thread.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
What length has it added in what time?
Hey viktor.

Sorry for the long wait on the reply. I've been a busy bloke the last few days.

Maybe an inch, but put more weight on in bulk. I found with my last one, they bulk up fast to around 5/6" then slow
Right down again.

Hoping in a few months he will have grown a lot more and keeps up the rate he's going.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I love it when we start asking how big things grow.
Fish keeping mag here has a real issue with keeping big fish. But I was in a store yesterday and some guy was buying 5 goldfish for his 2ft tank!!!!!!
Have to admit though. My advice when asked on how big sporata aor grew was, "smaller than it should" simply because none of us ( that I know of) have anything lime big enough tanks for a full grown adult.

I think I'm getting old and realizing I may never own a big enough pond to own the fish I want to keep!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I love it when we start asking how big things grow.
Fish keeping mag here has a real issue with keeping big fish. But I was in a store yesterday and some guy was buying 5 goldfish for his 2ft tank!!!!!!
Have to admit though. My advice when asked on how big sporata aor grew was, "smaller than it should" simply because none of us ( that I know of) have anything lime big enough tanks for a full grown adult.

I think I'm getting old and realizing I may never own a big enough pond to own the fish I want to keep!
You are getting old and grumpy all right :D Still a pleasure to have around :)

When I was an immature show off (which I've not grown out of yet), I used to quote the largest known and established size to answer questions like this. Then I realized that great many fish will not reach the champion wildlife sizes, just as not all humans will grow into a Shaquill O'Neal. Some will remain a Charley Chaplin.

I tease myself that maybe I could house a 5'-6' Sperata aor, if my trio reaches that. It doesn't look likely. They seem stuck at 2'-2.5'. Perhaps they are acicularis after all. I don't have a tank big enough anyway. Hopefully yet.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
He's added around 1.5" since i had him, haven't been around much to keep up on feeding every 2 days. Although, he seems to be growing. He's now on 3 prawns each feeding instead of one when he arrived.

IMG_7519.JPG

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Another month gone by. The fish is growing very well, more then I expected. Now heading towards 6" I shall measure him later. This fish, is very slender, compared to my last one, I'm quite convinced it is in fact a male fish. But obviously, I don't have much evidence to prove this.

I shall measure and add pictures this evening as I'll be back, haven't been around much the last month due to personal issues.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Still here, growing very slowly. Upgrade of the next few days for this guy. Hoping that will help him.

I’ve recently read quite an interesting read about bratchyplatosoma and sea food, eg. Prawns/ mussles. Apparently, there quite deadly, was Abit sceptical at first, but how many times do you see a big one in captivity. It could quite possibly explain the sudden deaths. so I’ve changes them over onto earth worms for now. I shall try to convert them into pellets.

DBC9A98A-2800-4BB3-BCA5-D6D1C96A3FD5.jpeg

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
I just want to share my guy at 8.5" i got him last july 19 @ 6". He's become remarklaby thick since i first got him. I feed him market prawns twice a day. Snout's still in perfect condition cause i keep him solo

IMG_7289.JPG

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Here's a sideview of him. Sorry for the crappy pic and the crappy tank. Hopefully you can see how thick he is :)

View attachment 1334915
nice!
Growth pretty slow On them. Glad it’s not just me!

Up untill now. I’ve kept mine alone. Recently keeping him in with a piriba, this had made no difference to his behaviour. He actually seem to like the other cat. I’ve just been reading “the catfish connection” book. Huge information about these guys inside. Turn out, they actually shoal untill there around 2feet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store