Breeding Angelfish (second time the charm?)

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey guys,

I posted in this forum about breeding angelfish a few months back and after that batch died, I took a break from breeding them. Last week, one of my pairs were able to raise the eggs to wigglers (usually I leave the eggs and let the other fish eat it) and I thought I’d give this breeding thing another try so I took them out and added them to a 5 gallon. There are around 30-50 fry and have just started to free swim this morning. Because I wasn’t prepared to breed these and honestly had no plans to do so, I only have hikari first bites (which I know a lot of members say is not the best for survival) but that’s all I have and will not be getting a brine shrimp hatchery. I want to use this thread to document their growth and (hopefully) survival.

Currently the fry tank contains:
- Heater set at 78 F
- Airstone
- some Java moss for cover and to help with water parameters.

What do you think about this setup? It’s only temporary until they become larger, where I will transfer them to larger tanks. I also do not have a sponge filter and plan on purchasing one in the coming months so hopefully this will work for now.

From My last batch I learned some mistakes:
- HOB filter even with sponge will kill babies
- doing large water change with cold water will kill your fish (yes I’m stupid lol)

I realized from my last batch that if I can keep my fry alive for 2-3 weeks, then they will be all good for hikaru first bites and the other foods I feed them.

Any other advise would be appreciated. Mainly my concern is how to match the temp of fry tank with new water as I do not have another heater hanging around so I would probably rely on touch. Will try to do every other day small (5-10 percent) water changes and feed 3 times a day. I found doing too much water changes gives way to more things to potentially go wrong lol.

This is a long thread so thanks for following along!

Ray :)

BCD942D7-983A-491B-B497-7043978C8CA1.jpeg

19034C99-1167-431A-9CB6-E827C581ACC8.jpeg

16843936-2A7D-4BC5-9F03-983431DC9C3D.jpeg

0C5A5DCB-F6FD-45C7-8243-D1A70F95C050.jpeg

3E8AB7AC-7556-49A8-B36C-5737CEA94A59.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I like faster growing hornwort or Anacharis myself. But if all you have light to support is Java moss that’s fine too, you need a turkey baster and about an hour after you feed pull the airstone and use the baster to get out any funk/ leftovers. Do that a few times a day. Keep an aquarium on hand to pull water from to replace what you take out during the day.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I like faster growing hornwort or Anacharis myself. But if all you have light to support is Java moss that’s fine too, you need a turkey baster and about an hour after you feed pull the airstone and use the baster to get out any funk/ leftovers. Do that a few times a day. Keep an aquarium on hand to pull water from to replace what you take out during the day.
Thanks that sounds like a good idea. I have a 30 gallon laying around with my datnoid (as it’s healing from an eye injury) and I’ll be moving it back to the main tank shortly so I’ll use that as a “reservoir” for the small tank!

Reactions: C. Breeze

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
It can be tough to get 50% survival using first bites, crushed flake etc.
You can order very very fine golden pearls or decapsulared no hatching feed direct brine shrimp eggs. Both of which will go a good way toward pumping up survival rates. You need eye droppers or pipettes to feed. I like to get a little tank water like a couple tablespoons, mix in the fry food and the. Suck up the mic and squirt it straight to the fry. Less mess, more eating.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Best of luck, looking forward to your success and progress. Keep up with the small water changes.

Next time they spawn, given the constraints you have with tanks and heaters, you may want to just consider leaving fry with the parents. The larger, established tank, will have more micro organisms for the fry to feed on. Additionally, the established tank will be able to manage the nitrogen cycle better. You could easily have a few dozen fry make it to a good size.

What else is in the tank with the parents?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
It can be tough to get 50% survival using first bites, crushed flake etc.
You can order very very fine golden pearls or decapsulared no hatching feed direct brine shrimp eggs. Both of which will go a good way toward pumping up survival rates. You need eye droppers or pipettes to feed. I like to get a little tank water like a couple tablespoons, mix in the fry food and the. Suck up the mic and squirt it straight to the fry. Less mess, more eating.
Thanks for the info. Honestly doing this for fun so I’ll be happy if out of the 30-50 I get 5 ?. If I do end up seriously trying to breed them I would def get a brine shrimp hatchery since it’s much higher success rate. If you could, link me the no hatching brine shrimp? That looks interesting too.

Reactions: C. Breeze

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Best of luck, looking forward to your success and progress. Keep up with the small water changes.

Next time they spawn, given the constraints you have with tanks and heaters, you may want to just consider leaving fry with the parents. The larger, established tank, will have more micro organisms for the fry to feed on. Additionally, the established tank will be able to manage the nitrogen cycle better. You could easily have a few dozen fry make it to a good size.

What else is in the tank with the parents?
I would def consider leaving them with the parents if it was just the pair, but I have 4 other angels who constantly try to get a easy meal, a 14 inch bichir, and a datnoid which is definitely a no go lol. If I do decide to raise fry after this batch I’ll probably get a 20-30 gallon tank and sep the pair.

Reactions: YankeeJack

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I recommend buying frozen baby brine shrimp, and I once tried some preserved baby brine in a little glass jar. Both worked well to supplement discus fry, as long as they were still with the parents, and after separation as I transitioned them to larger food.

You should turn down the airflow in that container because they won't be able to survive long fighting that strong current.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I recommend buying frozen baby brine shrimp, and I once tried some preserved baby brine in a little glass jar. Both worked well to supplement discus fry, as long as they were still with the parents, and after separation as I transitioned them to larger food.

You should turn down the airflow in that container because they won't be able to survive long fighting that strong current.
Okay sounds good. Idk how to turn the flow on the airstone lol, but I’m thinking of adding more water (only halfway filled) to accommodate that. Good thing most of them seem to go after the hikari first bites as of rn so kinda hoping they eat it. With the current blowing it it looks more realistic too. Will look into the frozen brine shrimp. Any specific brands you use that you recommend?

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Okay sounds good. Idk how to turn the flow on the airstone lol, but I’m thinking of adding more water (only halfway filled) to accommodate that. Good thing most of them seem to go after the hikari first bites as of rn so kinda hoping they eat it. With the current blowing it it looks more realistic too. Will look into the frozen brine shrimp. Any specific brands you use that you recommend?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store