Breeding worms in an aquarium?

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Yes,I would think a thin layer of sand would be needed. Black worms are not free floating but if you stir the sand they,ll come out. The light is no problem
Maybe daphnia would be a better sump option, then try to get the blackworms to take off in the display.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Maybe daphnia would be a better sump option, then try to get the blackworms to take off in the display.
You can try starting the black worms in the sump first, to establish some colony, then move on some to the display, otherwise the fish will gobble all of them too quickly.
I put tons of them in a tank that housed just one platy. I watched her been as full as a baloon for months on hand. She just kept eating and eating. I now see none in there.

The ones I have in the hillstream loach tank survive under the stones. The loaches sift through the sand around the stones but can't get under them.

@ EntoStentor EntoStentor

I personally would not fancy the planaria idea. The one time I had planaria, I've seen fish try them and spit them out. They do not like them and do not eat them. Some species are parasitic and all of them are certainly carnivorous and can eat tiny fry and shrimp though I get that's not a problem in a "monster tank".

Reactions: Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
You can try starting the black worms in the sump first, to establish some colony, then move on some to the display, otherwise the fish will gobble all of them too quickly.
I put tons of them in a tank that housed just one platy. I watched her been as full as a baloon for months on hand. She just kept eating and eating. I now see none in there.

The ones I have in the hillstream loach tank survive under the stones. The loaches sift through the sand around the stones but can't get under them.

I personally would not fancy the planaria idea. The one time I had planaria, I've seen fish try them and spit them out. They do not like them and do not eat them. Some species are parasitic and all of them are certainly carnivorous and can eat tiny fry and shrimp though I get that's not a problem in a "monster tank".
That’s a good idea, move them up to the display as they disappear.

I too am hesitant to try planaria. Don’t want anything getting into the gills of the fish and I don’t want my tank to be overrun with them.

The parasitic species are not the kind you'd usually find in aquaria.

Reactions: Coryloach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store