Brown colored Delhezi vs Grey colored Delhezi

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
I used to have a Delhezi that was pretty brown in color compared to some of the grey colored ones I see on youtube. Now I have Delhezis which seem like they are in between those colors. Does anyone perhaps know anything about captive bred or wild caught or different regions they come from or a mix?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I have a pair of wild caught and capture breed species, i believed it really depends on the individual, substrate and food plays a big factor like what tlindsey tlindsey mentioned. I used to have a delhezi that was in the black sand and the color of the del was charcoal, when i put it in the red gravel the dels color changed to a silver color. Stripes stayed black even in the black and red substrate.my lower jaws speicies are different, they have different color even they have the same substrate and eats the same food. Idk why the base color are different but i think its really depends on the individual even its the same specie.

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
That makes sense, I didn't realize food would change the bichir armor gavnoid scale thingabob. I was thinking someone might have knowledge about like particular delhezi bichirs that are like sorta subspecies, or comes from a particular lake/river region, making them look slightly different. I forgot I read somewhere about a bichir that came from a particular lake, so as it looked slightly different than same name species but with its own slightly different characteristics.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Most delhezi that are being sold in small size in any lfs are capture breed, unless the lfs that are well known to bring wild caught species Are going to have bigger specimen being sold.
I read somewhere that you can tell a wild caught and capture breed delhezi from the pattern and head shape. They said a wild caught patterns have less stripes and more straight than the capture breed that have more bolder and crazy pattern, so its almost like a wild caught endli compare to a capture breed endli.
The head shape on a wild caught del is more longer and flatter compare to a capture breed head is rounder.

Reactions: BichirMohawk

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
My Delhizi doesn't have the high contrast zebra stripes like I saw on google, it is more of a mottled patterning, there are stripes, but the contrast of them doesn't really make it pop. Compared to my Senegal, the Delhizi head is a little longer and flatter. Sounds like mine might have been wild caught, but perhaps not. I wonder if the ornate wc compare to the cb ornate...

Reactions: BichirMohawk

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Very high percentage of delhezi are captive bred if they're small, because wild caughts are typically over 6+". Plus, WC pricing is almost always over $40 usd.

As for ornates. CB and WC body shape and color contrast can be either or. Just my strong opinion on my next statement here - Ornates are genetically the strongest and stay the same when used during captive breeding. Very few farm raised carry defects.

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Koliba Lapradei bichirs are a variant of the Lapradei bichir because they come from a different lake, probably named Koliba.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store