Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017

Lollum96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Just built this rack yesterday. It's pretty unique in the way that it's created as a ladder type rack. Each tank sticks out 6 inches longer than the one on top. Meaning that you can have literally an inch of space between each layer and still be able to get into each tank.

The basic idea is to save lots of space and be able to fit in 4 layers of tanks in the same space that a normal conventional rack would only hold 3 layers of tanks. As with a normal rack you would need at least 6 inches of space between each shelf to get into the tanks for maintenance.

Wires and all are still all over the place as I need to buy a couple more extension leads to get all the wires sorted but I'm sure you can get the idea from the images.

IMG_20230602_175624363.jpg

IMG_20230602_175606429.jpg

IMG_20230602_175606429.jpg

IMG_20230602_175559937.jpgIMG_20230602_175549155.jpg

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Just built this rack yesterday. It's pretty unique in the way that it's created as a ladder type rack. Each tank sticks out 6 inches longer than the one on top. Meaning that you can have literally an inch of space between each layer and still be able to get into each tank.

The basic idea is to save lots of space and be able to fit in 4 layers of tanks in the same space that a normal conventional rack would only hold 3 layers of tanks. As with a normal rack you would need at least 6 inches of space between each shelf to get into the tanks for maintenance.

Wires and all are still all over the place as I need to buy a couple more extension leads to get all the wires sorted but I'm sure you can get the idea from the images.

View attachment 1519931

View attachment 1519932

View attachment 1519932

View attachment 1519934View attachment 1519933
it looks like you only have the faseners supporting the weight of each tank. i would lose sleep at night like that.

Reactions: esoxlucius

Lollum96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
it looks like you only have the faseners supporting the weight of each tank. i would lose sleep at night like that.
People really over think the whole weight this. And to be fair for good reason!

Each fastener brace is supported by two 80mm screws. 8 screws in total per shelf directly through 2 inch thick wood.

Each one of them screws can in theory hold 100lbs. Biggest tank on the rack weighs in at 264lbs full of water.

Would recommend more side bracing of course if you wanted to go over 300lbs per shelf.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
People really over think the whole weight this. And to be fair for good reason!

Each fastener brace is supported by two 80mm screws. 8 screws in total per shelf directly through 2 inch thick wood.

Each one of them screws can in theory hold 100lbs. Biggest tank on the rack weighs in at 264lbs full of water.

Would recommend more side bracing of course if you wanted to go over 300lbs per shelf.
the screw itself is rated for 100lbs in controlled conditions. if you watch project farm on youtube youll find that one screw may hold 100lbs one may hold 20. not because of the screw. but because the consistency of the wood grain. also that 100lbs is either rated as tensile or shear strength. if that stand rocks side to side even a few millimeters your now dealing with a mixture of the two and your rating could be drastically diminished. im not going to talk someone into doing something they dont want to do. but there is a reason why no one with any reputation in the hobby advises a stand be build that way. best of luck. years ago i build a simular stand for 75s but i screwed blocks under each horizontal and even PL construction glued it. 2nd shelf failed 3 years in. just my 2c.

Reactions: jjohnwm

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
L LukeOscar is absolutely right. No stand building DIY hobbyist in their right mind, if they want to sleep peacefully at night that is, should solely rely on the screws or nails as support for heavy aquariums, regardless of supposed safety factors of the fasteners.

Sure, your stand may, and probably will last for years, but there will always be that niggling doubt, which would drive me insane. Build it correctly from the get go and take that niggling doubt away imo.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
L LukeOscar is absolutely right. No stand building DIY hobbyist in their right mind, if they want to sleep peacefully at night that is, should solely rely on the screws or nails as support for heavy aquariums, regardless of supposed safety factors of the fasteners.

Sure, your stand may, and probably will last for years, but there will always be that niggling doubt, which would drive me insane. Build it correctly from the get go and take that niggling doubt away imo.
on the plus side. at least it appears to be cheap flooring in that room LOL

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
the screw itself is rated for 100lbs in controlled conditions. if you watch project farm on youtube youll find that one screw may hold 100lbs one may hold 20. not because of the screw. but because the consistency of the wood grain. also that 100lbs is either rated as tensile or shear strength. if that stand rocks side to side even a few millimeters your now dealing with a mixture of the two and your rating could be drastically diminished. im not going to talk someone into doing something they dont want to do. but there is a reason why no one with any reputation in the hobby advises a stand be build that way. best of luck. years ago i build a simular stand for 75s but i screwed blocks under each horizontal and even PL construction glued it. 2nd shelf failed 3 years in. just my 2c.
This ^ exactly. The idea of taking the theoretical, rated capacity of a fastener or other piece of hardware, and actually expecting that to be accurate with the bargain-grade materials and amateur construction skills we as hobbyists typically use...is frightening.

If your car has a rated fuel-efficiency of X liters per 100 km...do you take that number and use it to calculate the exact amount of fuel you "should" use for a given trip and then head out with just that much?

Reactions: LukeOscar

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Is it bad that I already have the urge to scrap half of this project, move my 40s to the bottom rack and get rid of everything else, cut the top rack off, make the second level a bit taller and put a huge 14 foot tank on the stand instead? (Or two 7 footers)

Just a thought though. Probably would take another 6 months of planning

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store