Buttekoferi flashing

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
My 5" buttekoferi (Hornet Tilapia) is flashing and glancing off aquarium decore. He has no white spots, no external anything near his gills, his fins are clear and not clamped. His gill breathing is normal. He's eating like a pig and is the boss of the aquarium.

He's in the aquarium with 1 red Devi, 1 Texas cichlid, 2 Jack Dempsey. All about 3.5".
There is plenty of aquarium decore and artificial plants breaking line of sight. They are actually all getting along well at the moment. The Butti is the dominant fish, followed by the larger Jack, then the red devil, then the smaller Jack.

NONE of the other fish demonstrate any flashing off objects ever! They all have clear fins good appetites and no external visual parasites.

#1. Why is my Buttekoferi flashing off objects?
#2. Could this a display of dominance?
#3 Could he possibly have something that I don't see?

Thanks for for any help

IMG_20190908_204004905.jpg

IMG_20190908_204014874.jpg

IMG_20190908_203836356.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It is very possible that whatever is making it flash is not visible. Protozoal parasites like ick, often attach unseen to the inside of the gill membranes.
Maybe you are already aware, but since you put this in the Central American section, it would be remiss not to point out that buttikoferi is an African riverine species.
When it hits near maturity, due to its normally aggressive nature. all your other fish will be at risk or death.

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
I do realize that it is a West African species as you mention.

Regardless, what would be your choice of treatment based on the fact that there is nothing visible and the other fish do not demonstrate this behavior?

Thank you for any recommendation in advance. : )

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would add salt, 3 lbs per 100 gallons. (rock salt, water softener salt, table salt, doesn't matter as long as its NaCl)
That salinity 3ppt, will kill emerging ick, and many other emerging fresh water parasites, it will be harmless to any of the cichlids you mention.
Each time a water change is done, add the approximate level of salt per gallons of changes, and when doing water changes, vacuum the substrate, if it is ick, there will be dormant cysts in the substrate, you remove by vacuuming.
I would do this for the next 3 weeks or so. You need to do this to be assured of getting all emerging ick thru the entire ick life cycle.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Is it a constant flashing situation, or just here & there? It would not be unusual for a buttikoferi to display dominance, by flashing off of objects.

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
I'd say here and There.

I'm going to add salt as per some recommendations I have received and just in case because it can't hurt.

I was told approximately 3 lbs of salt per 100 gallons initially as treatment and then to treat the next 3 weeks with the same ratio for the amount of water change.

What do you think?

Thanks

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It seems like a large piece of this puzzle is missing. What's the background on this fish, and its tank? I mean I wouldn't just dose with salt without knowing more about this set up, and how long you have had the fish, and tank, and what else is in this tank, including potentially some salt sensitive fish.

I have a friend that used to panic every time a fish in one of his tanks, flashed, usually it was just a dominance display. You might have something else going on but without some additional info for now I would do nothing.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Can a Mod merge the OP"s two topics so this thread makes sense?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thanks Dee, just read the previous thread.

My 5" buttekoferi (Hornet Tilapia) is flashing and glancing off aquarium decore. He has no white spots, no external anything near his gills, his fins are clear and not clamped. His gill breathing is normal. He's eating like a pig and is the boss of the aquarium.

He's in the aquarium with 1 red Devi, 1 Texas cichlid, 2 Jack Dempsey. All about 3.5".
There is plenty of aquarium decore and artificial plants breaking line of sight. They are actually all getting along well at the moment. The Butti is the dominant fish, followed by the larger Jack, then the red devil, then the smaller Jack.

NONE of the other fish demonstrate any flashing off objects ever! They all have clear fins good appetites and no external visual parasites.

#1. Why is my Buttekoferi flashing off objects?
#2. Could this a display of dominance?
#3 Could he possibly have something that I don't see?

Thanks for for any help

View attachment 1387963

View attachment 1387965

View attachment 1387966

So the big question is, how long have ALL of these fish been together, as in when did the last fish get added?
Also, when did the flashing start?

Hopefully you have done your homework as to the eventual size these fish all mature to, their typical aggression levels, and their eventual tank size requirements.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store