Buttekoferi flashing

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
this will help,
There is no valid reason to use only non-iodized salt yet this is always a hot topic for discussion and argument among aquarium hobbyists. In reality, the minuscule amount of iodide that would end up in a treated pond or aquarium is likely to be beneficial (as a potential source of essential iodine for both certain plants and animals) and certainly not harmful.
Very informative.
Thank you

Reactions: BichirKing

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just an FYI regarding the info in the link that B BichirKing posted, where Lupin discussed yellow prussiate of soda (anti-caking agent) . I have been using Windsor brand kosher salt for decades, with no issues. It's cheap, and readily available where I live. My tanks are all indoors so if UV rays is an issue, it's a non-issue for me. This particular brand does not contain iodine, not that I believe iodine is an issue either. As Bichirking stated, the residual would be so small if anything it would be beneficial to the fish.

Reactions: BichirKing

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sea salt should be fine, although commercial salt for salt water aquariums can be quite expensive.
I treated for ick recently, because my fish being wild caught by local fisherman, displayed a spot or two.
In nature one or two ick spots are not a big deal, but in the confines of a closed system, easily become epidemic.
I removed 18 gallons of fresh water from the tank, and added 18+ gallons of oceans (35ppt salinity) water, bringing salinity to just above 3ppt, this concentration knocked out the ick before it became problematic, and also prevented the Lernea (parasites) from reproducing. The adult Lernae had to be physically removed.
D0610BFC-127D-47DD-BB63-89CA0D7F1F72_1_201_a.jpeg
16297685-A4E5-47B9-8575-CE4774F9BE27_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: dr exum

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I'm going to quote Duane's original advice to me...

"I would add salt, 3 lbs per 100 gallons. (rock salt, water softener salt, table salt, doesn't matter as long as its NaCl)"

I personally used Morton's sea salt from the grocery store.
I used the non iodine version of salt and it seemed to work for me. I never did get clarification on iodized salt vs non iodine salt.

Good luck
used my marine salt and it worked really well. Salinity is about 4-5ppt. Very effective.
Thanks!

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store