Buttekoferi flashing

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
135 Gallon
Tank running with established filter's for well over a year.
Restarted by selling previous healthy stock to friends and local stores.
Butti went in first and was in for about 6 weeks.
Added Red devil, two Jack's, and one Texas simultaneously.
Butti did rub/flash prior to addition of tank mates. But not as frequently as recently. of course it could be just that I'm observing the tank more often recently as well.
As Duannes suggested salt wouldn't hurt those other listed species and it's possible that there's something going on inside the gills you can't see.
So why not dose with salt and see what happens?
If the behavior stops then I have my answer.
If the behavior doesn't stop then I have my answer.

I was only questioning the dosing amount of 3 lb per 100 gallons.

And yes I realize the potential size of these fish then that the Buttekoferi we'll have to do watch closely and that my aquarium might take me become species only tank eventually.

I welcome all positive responses to my dosing question.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
At 3ppt, any new emerging ick and many other emerging protozoa will be lysed (crushed) by the salinity (its higher osmotic pressure).
Under 3 ppt young ick may be irritated by the salinity, but not killed out right.
This salinity also works on many other emerging pathogenic protozoa (although not all).
It sounds like these fish were recently added, so any could be a symptomatic carriers, it sometimes takes weeks, even months for certain diseases to manifest, and have time to spread.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
135 Gallon
Tank running with established filter's for well over a year.
Restarted by selling previous healthy stock to friends and local stores.
Butti went in first and was in for about 6 weeks.
Added Red devil, two Jack's, and one Texas simultaneously.
Butti did rub/flash prior to addition of tank mates. But not as frequently as recently. of course it could be just that I'm observing the tank more often recently as well.
As Duannes suggested salt wouldn't hurt those other listed species and it's possible that there's something going on inside the gills you can't see.
So why not dose with salt and see what happens?
If the behavior stops then I have my answer.
If the behavior doesn't stop then I have my answer.

I was only questioning the dosing amount of 3 lb per 100 gallons.

And yes I realize the potential size of these fish then that the Buttekoferi we'll have to do watch closely and that my aquarium might take me become species only tank eventually.

I welcome all positive responses to my dosing question.
I was just wondering what the results were? Did the flashing behavior stop? Or does he still flash just as much?

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
I was just wondering what the results were? Did the flashing behavior stop? Or does he still flash just as much?
Thank you for the follow-up question. I brought the salinity up to 3ppt on 9/14/19. The flashing stopped almost immediately and I still am currently running the aquarium at 3ppt.
I do a weekly water change and have been sure to replace the water at 3ppt.
I have not seen him flash in just over four weeks now.
Next week I plan on going back to regular water change without salt and I will see what happens.
Thanks

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thank you for the follow-up question. I brought the salinity up to 3ppt on 9/14/19. The flashing stopped almost immediately and I still am currently running the aquarium at 3ppt.
I do a weekly water change and have been sure to replace the water at 3ppt.
I have not seen him flash in just over four weeks now.
Next week I plan on going back to regular water change without salt and I will see what happens.
Thanks
That's great. thanks for the reply.
My Butti has started doing the same. But he is the only fish in the tank who is doing it so similar to your story.
I plan on using the marine salt I use for my SW tanks, do you think this would be fine?

Wildcat157

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2019
NY
I'm going to quote Duane's original advice to me...

"I would add salt, 3 lbs per 100 gallons. (rock salt, water softener salt, table salt, doesn't matter as long as its NaCl)"

I personally used Morton's sea salt from the grocery store.
I used the non iodine version of salt and it seemed to work for me. I never did get clarification on iodized salt vs non iodine salt.

Good luck

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I used the non iodine version of salt and it seemed to work for me. I never did get clarification on iodized salt vs non iodine salt.
this will help,
There is no valid reason to use only non-iodized salt yet this is always a hot topic for discussion and argument among aquarium hobbyists. In reality, the minuscule amount of iodide that would end up in a treated pond or aquarium is likely to be beneficial (as a potential source of essential iodine for both certain plants and animals) and certainly not harmful.

Reactions: mattybecks and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store