CA/SA paired up with African Cichlids?

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Didn't know which section to post this in but I chose this one. Anyway has anyone ever paired up a Central/South American Cichlid with a African Cichlid?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Paired up as in breeding.
African cichlids can't cross with anything from SA/CA.

SA also can't breed with anything else save the Feste (Mesoheros Festae). That's why you don't see a million YouTube videos of Oscar, Sevrum, Geo hybrids. Most of all the SA can only breed within their family. IE a Green Terror and a Blue Acara can cross because they are both Andinoacara, but you can't cross a GT to a Oscar.

CA can cross with other CA and Festa but not Africans.
Also the three have totally different aggression/fighting styles.
African highly aggressive chase relentlessly nipping shredding fins till the fish can't swim.
SA a lot more mellow, more boisterous and bluffs than outright fighting.
CA highly aggressive will fight to the death locking jaws with the opponent

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD

SA also can't breed with anything else save the Feste (Mesoheros Festae). That's why you don't see a million YouTube videos of Oscar, Sevrum, Geo hybrids. Most of all the SA can only breed within their family. IE a Green Terror and a Blue Acara can cross because they are both Andinoacara, but you can't cross a GT to a Oscar.

African highly aggressive chase relentlessly nipping shredding fins till the fish can't swim.
Definitely agree with everything your saying. Granted I have seen SA's try to breed with Africans before but do to them being so genetically different they are never able to produce fry regardless of how hard they try. Mainly seen this with convicts and mbuna but never seen any fry as a result so pretty safe to safe they can't cross but they can cohabitate and pair with each other.

Lol kind of funny actually to whatch a con try to breed with a mbuna just to have the mbuna immediately suck up the eggs to carry them around and having the con get all PO'ed at the mbuna for "eating" the eggs.

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts

Oh no I didn't mean crossing them I meant pairing up like keeping them together how you would with two CA/SA Cichlids like black nasties, or Midas and them forming a pair. I know they can't cross.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Oh no I didn't mean crossing them I meant pairing up like keeping them together how you would with two CA/SA Cichlids like black nasties, or Midas and them forming a pair. I know they can't cross.
Yeah depending on the setup and stocking it is possible. Granted no matter what Cichlids will be cichlids and they will fight with each other. Personally I would use convicts, salvini, might be able to use apistogrammas? Not totally sure on the last one but the other 2 should be able to hold their own pretty well if mixed with mbuna or lake Victorians, very similar attitudes between them atleast. Personally I was only ever able to get convicts to work with em long term but the cons tend to usually by the aggressors in the situation.

Reactions: Cichlids keeper

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although I wouldn't do it is a display tank, because I think it looks goofy.
I have grown out Africans with Central and some South Americans, and Madagascans too.

Above Madagascans (Paretroplus menerambo and nourissatti) with Geophagus altifrons.
Below Madagascan Paratilapia and Paretroplus maculates with the Central Cincilichthys bocourti

below Madagascan Paratilapia, with South American festae, and African Saratherodon in the upper shadows

Below the Indian Cichlid Etroplus canarensus, with the South American Gymnogeophagus balzani, and African Nimbochromis Livingston.

Indian Etroplus with Madagascan Paratilapia, and South American Crenicichla "pike".

and below the African Nimbochromis Livingston w the Central American Cincilichthys bocourtii

Below the Mexican Nosferatu bartoni, growing out with the African Lepidiolamprologus elongatus

One other consideration is that some Amazonian South Americans, come from totally opposite water parameters than say, rift lake Africans. I was usually very careful that water parameters were compatible with those I mixed.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store