Can I add an Arowana to this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ehhh I’m no albino junkie neither I moved on to silvers then didn’t like the drop eye they all inevitably get so now I’m at blacks which I like a lot....they’re just a lot more shy than silvers.... a friend is trying to convince me to get an Afro lol but I don’t have it in me to mix continents....sorry to hear about your congicus as well
I didnt know blacks were more shy than silvers. Meh mix away diversity is the new craze. lol

Reactions: tcav88

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
I think if the guy plans on getting an aro at a small size then later re-home it to a larger tank . Sure! do it, definitely nothing wrong with that. It will take time for it to grow anyways. If there's no plans on placing it in a larger tank when needed too, then no. It's that simple!

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
That doesnt change the fact that genetics was a valid question.
No it wasn't. It makes absolutely no difference to the ops question. None what so ever. It doesn't matter if its a black, silver or albino. It makes no difference if its already stunted.
Can one be kept long term in a 240? No, no, no.
It seems most here agree on this and genetics will not make one scrap of difference, zilch.
I agree with island guy. I think Jaws just likes to be argumentative with certain members. He agrees in principle but will argue and put forward ridiculous statements about other fish that we are not discussing. Things like, shouldn't the same apply to bettas in a bowel?
Yes the same should apply. That's not what we are discussing though.
You keep going off at tangents to try and win an argument Jaws. It just proves you like to argue.
Back to my original point, genetics means absolutely, totally and utterly nothing at all for the original point of this thread. I repeat, nothing.

Reactions: RD. and islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I think if the guy plans on getting an aro at a small size then later re-home it to a larger tank . Sure! do it, definitely nothing wrong with that. It will take time for it to grow anyways. If there's no plans on placing it in a larger tank when needed too, then no. It's that simple!
Umm that's precisely what most of us were saying at the beginning of the thread when trying to help OP: a 240 is ok as a growout but not long-term, esp. in a community setting, simple as that -- until the thread went off on a tangent...

And yeah, lots of people have 'plans' to get a larger tank, that's cool, we should all have such plans -- the interesting question though is how many actually follow through with their plans given the space, time and financial costs larger tanks usually entail. The OP himself did not mention whether he planned to eventually upgrade from the 240.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No it wasn't. It makes absolutely no difference to the ops question. None what so ever. It doesn't matter if its a black, silver or albino. It makes no difference if its already stunted.
Can one be kept long term in a 240? No, no, no.
It seems most here agree on this and genetics will not make one scrap of difference, zilch.
I agree with island guy. I think Jaws just likes to be argumentative with certain members. He agrees in principle but will argue and put forward ridiculous statements about other fish that we are not discussing. Things like, shouldn't the same apply to bettas in a bowel?
Yes the same should apply. That's not what we are discussing though.
You keep going off at tangents to try and win an argument Jaws. It just proves you like to argue.
Back to my original point, genetics means absolutely, totally and utterly nothing at all for the original point of this thread. I repeat, nothing.
So your saying genetics have nothing to do with size ?

Oh put a sock in it already stop acting like a drama queen. The point of this post is to what start the arguement back up ? Your another one who could never cope with disagreement and this goes way before our little quarrel. Your but has been hurt ever since the betta thread and more so after your ban on large fish comments.

Lmaoo buddy how many threads in this or any section veer off topic ?

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lets not the let the discussion escalate. If others want to finish it then please take it to the lounge “off topic discussion”. Thanks.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
That was the only arowana

lol ocd is bad can’t budge haha
Another member has an afro and it acts like a puppy. Hand feeds and messes with him like bad dog lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So your saying genetics have nothing to do with size ?

When generally speaking about aros, in a general manner, as in giving advice to someone asking about a specific tank size, for a specific species, no, it does not matter. That would be obvious to the vast majority. Nobody needs a DNA make up to understand that a silver aro is not a good fit for life in a 240. Nor does one need a DNA fingerprint to understand that many silver aros are forced to live in cramped conditions, which eventually cause them to become deformed, stunted, etc. Nothing to do with genetics, and everything to do with being a very cheap fish, that is easily replaced.

An Oscar grows on average to approx 12-14", it's no secret that one won't do well in a 55 gallon, and when forced to live in a 55 for life, many become sick, end up with HITH, and generally live a very piss poor pathetic life. Many die early on. Nobody don't needs a DNA fingerprint to understand that, either.

Not even you........

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Another member has an afro and it acts like a puppy. Hand feeds and messes with him like bad dog lol
wednesday13 wednesday13 has one I just saw not too long ago that acts the same... eats all the detritus and pellet left overs from the other tankmates and keep the substrate pristine... sadly my lfs had some as well and are convinced they eat feeder goldfish reguardless of what anyone tells them about being filter feeders and they’ve become emaciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store