Can I add an Arowana to this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Me for a starter, and I'm certainly not the only one. Apparently your friend is as well.

My point was simply that it's difficult to calculate "maximum" sizes, when the duration of the fish being kept is "minimum". The one poster in my previous comment among other sizes and ages noted, stated: "My youngest black is 25-26" and only 21 months old." One fish, and one person, does not make up maximum and minimum averages.

I also never said that a silver will (or even should) hit 48" in an aquarium. The point being, even at 36" it's more than just a wee bit ambitious to consider keeping one in a tank the size of a 240.

I would have left this thread a long time ago had the Asian/Aussie aro genus not been brought into the discussion. There is no comparison to silvers, none.

No question in my mind that silver aros are one of the most abused aros kept in captivity, due to a lack of respect and improper care being offered by inexperienced hobbyists, and that's what the moral of this story should be.
I agree with this

Reactions: RD.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Say what? lol Not as widely kept, as in 15 yr old kids don't typically buy them, due to their cost. Sure.

"There are over 150 CITES-registered Asian arowana farms in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and other Southeast Asia countries, producing Asian arowana for commercial purpose. But the actual number of Asian arowana farms in the world could be much higher than that, and probably over 350, of which most may not be registered in CITES yet. The total annual revenue of the Asian arowana sector was estimated at over USD 200 million globally."

Now multiply how many Asian aros have been produced and sold, over how many decades some of these farms have been in existence. Some going back to the 1980's. If anything, there is FAR more known about keeping Asian aros in captivity, than silvers, as the people keeping Asian aros generally spend a ton of $$$$ and time on their fish, and can afford to give them the best of care, compared to the average Joe who buys a silver.

I already pointed that flaw out in your logic many posts back, as did Fat Homer Fat Homer
It has nothing to do with how widely kept either fish is. lol

I think that some people like to make sheet up as they go along, just because they think they can, and no one will notice. None of what you say makes a lick of sense, Frank. Not the so called CB genetic spin, and not the most recent spin, as in one can't compare the two due to the number that have been kept in the hobby. It's ok to sit on your hands when you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about, really, no one will even notice.
Hold on now i didnt make anything up.

Islandguy stated this

"The reason why you might hardly hear the same arguments made in regard to keeping Aussies or Asians is that there are a heck of a lot less people owning these (esp. Asians) compared to Silvers, which are a dime a dozen and legal in US where a majority of MFK members reside. If OP had asked the same question about Jardini he would have have received the same responses"

As far as your comments about my genetic spin.... well that just your spin and twisting my words as usual. I get your looking for a fight i am not. It was not stated as a fact. Infact in your early posts you mentioned genetics playing a role yourself.

Asian Aro’s cant really be compared to silvers (at least not here) because anyone willing to drop the money for a nice Asian Aro is bound to do a lot of research into their needs before blowing money like that unless they are literally swimming in cash... Where as anyone who walks into an LFS could quite easily afford their cheaper silver cousins...

For example I cant count the amount of times i’ve seen young people (10-18yrs old) here walk out an LFS with baby silvers and tiny plastic aquariums, but never have i seen a person younger than say around 25 walk away with an Asian aro just due to price alone...

I mean silvers here might cost around USD $5-10 a piece for a small 5” fish...

But a nice Asian Aro even at just 10” could cost upwards of USD $1K - 2K+
I took fat homers comment also as the silvers are more easily attainable resulting in them being more commonly kept.

If im wrong about my assumption then forgive me. FH

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Even if silvers only reach 20inches,a 24inch wide tank don't give it much room. Just a crap existence performing tight turns back and forth.
Why some people have to send these threads off at tangents astonishes me.
Op asked, can I keep a silver in a 240. Answer, it's far from ideal.
Where's the frigging debate. Who cares about genetics.
You missed the point, genetics were pointed out due to the fact it’s a variant in whether a fish will achieve or surpass its previous mile markers (max sizes, colors, shape) no two fish will ever be the same.... secondly I agree that it shouldn’t be done, but also how many times on this forum do you see someone ask the question and reguardless of the answer do it anyway. Obviously he’s looking for someone to sign off on it so he can feel okay with the inevitable choice he’s gonna make.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Frank - your point, was/is pointless. That was the point I was attempting to make. lol

You said: "Makes sense though why they asian/aussie cant be compared since they arent as widely kept."

That makes no sense, it's not a numbers game, as you seemed to imply. Is that clearer for you? No one is debating that more people buy low cost aros, such as silvers, vs high cost aros, such as Asians. When a researcher is looking for data on a species of fish, any data, they don't require 50 million test subjects to glean that data. lol

Like I said previously, just another one of Frank's lessons in futility.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I did not miss the point, it just wasn't relevant. Big aro little aro. They are too big for a 240g.

Reactions: RD.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Lol your posts speak for themselves whether or not you're honest enough with yourself to admit it. And unlike you I don't have time to slog through 100's of posts to seek out this or that comment -- my memory is good enough to remember the gist of what people are saying/supporting.

But taking your latest comments into consideration, may I clarify? You are now denying that you've supported keeping big fish in small tanks -- which means you believe fish should be kept in adequately size tanks, not cramped prison cells, right?.

If so, this means you actually have pretty much the same opinion as all the people you were/are getting into fights with here and those other threads (e.g. "Don't buy an Oscar: 6 Reasons why"). Which again begs the question, are you just doing this because you like to be argumentive, or are there personal issues involved, or maybe trying to get back at people who have fried you in other debates?

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." Abraham Lincoln.

When i was younger i dated girl who deployed these same tactics. Make crap up then get soo emotionally attached that you believe your own b.s. and hope that everyone involved shares your opinion.

You cant find one comment where i advise keeping large fish in small tanks ? Not even in this thread lol. You claim im this big bad trouble maker yet i havent gotten personal or argumentative.... you sure your not the trouble maker sweetheart ? I mean dude your still arguing about past threads.

Find one other person than yourself or my buddies rd and stanzzz that will agree with your comment and i'll gladly apologize and clarify my position.

So we are to believe i advocate for keeping large fish in small tanks when i myself dont ?

20190515_214746.jpg

Adn please spare me the derail accusations.... its mfk almost every thread veers off topic

Reactions: d033ie

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
You missed the point, genetics were pointed out due to the fact it’s a variant in whether a fish will achieve or surpass its previous mile markers (max sizes, colors, shape) no two fish will ever be the same.... secondly I agree that it shouldn’t be done, but also how many times on this forum do you see someone ask the question and reguardless of the answer do it anyway. Obviously he’s looking for someone to sign off on it so he can feel okay with the inevitable choice he’s gonna make.
Genetics entered the equation about 60 posts ago. Nobody missed anything here. lol But I agree, many people do start threads like this hoping that someone will agree with a choice that they have already made in their mind. Hopefully we have given the OP something to think about. If he bothers to read through all the pointless crap.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Frank - your point, was/is pointless. That was the point I was attempting to make. lol

You said: "Makes sense though why they asian/aussie cant be compared since they arent as widely kept."

That makes no sense, it's not a numbers game, as you seemed to imply. Is that clearer for you? No one is debating that more people buy low cost aros, such as silvers, vs high cost aros, such as Asians. When a researcher is looking for data on a species of fish, any data, they don't require 50 million test subjects to glean that data. lol

Like I said previously, just another one of Frank's lessons in futility.
And you call people stupid lmao.

I asked the question earlier in the thread why the comparison isnt make. Island guy yourself and fat homer gave reasons why. I agreed. Possibly the silvers are just more commonly kept... now lets slow things down for you.... I AM NOT MAKING THIS STATEMENT. READ THE OTHER POSTS. i get it your bored and lonely looking for attention and need to instigate a fight.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
I did not miss the point, it just wasn't relevant. Big aro little aro. They are too big for a 240g.
Very well I can agree with that although given the fact he could get a runt arowana it is relevant.... but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about arowana getting 4ft in captivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store