Can I add an Arowana to this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hahaha your reading skills clearly arent up to par. All talk no results. When you find a comment that can back up your claims please post it. Go back and read your oscar thread again.... slowly. What post in this thread are you confused with ? I'll help you get through it.
Lol your posts speak for themselves whether or not you're honest enough with yourself to admit it. And unlike you I don't have time to slog through 100's of posts to seek out this or that comment -- my memory is good enough to remember the gist of what people are saying/supporting.

But taking your latest comments into consideration, may I clarify? You are now denying that you've supported keeping big fish in small tanks -- which means you believe fish should be kept in adequately size tanks, not cramped prison cells, right?.

If so, this means you actually have pretty much the same opinion as all the people you were/are getting into fights with here and those other threads (e.g. "Don't buy an Oscar: 6 Reasons why"). Which again begs the question, are you just doing this because you like to be argumentive, or are there personal issues involved, or maybe trying to get back at people who have fried you in other debates?

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." Abraham Lincoln.

Reactions: Zanzag

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Makes sense though why they asian/aussie cant be compared since they arent as widely kept.
Say what? lol Not as widely kept, as in 15 yr old kids don't typically buy them, due to their cost. Sure.

"There are over 150 CITES-registered Asian arowana farms in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and other Southeast Asia countries, producing Asian arowana for commercial purpose. But the actual number of Asian arowana farms in the world could be much higher than that, and probably over 350, of which most may not be registered in CITES yet. The total annual revenue of the Asian arowana sector was estimated at over USD 200 million globally."

Now multiply how many Asian aros have been produced and sold, over how many decades some of these farms have been in existence. Some going back to the 1980's. If anything, there is FAR more known about keeping Asian aros in captivity, than silvers, as the people keeping Asian aros generally spend a ton of $$$$ and time on their fish, and can afford to give them the best of care, compared to the average Joe who buys a silver.

I already pointed that flaw out in your logic many posts back, as did Fat Homer Fat Homer
It has nothing to do with how widely kept either fish is. lol

I think that some people like to make sheet up as they go along, just because they think they can, and no one will notice. None of what you say makes a lick of sense, Frank. Not the so called CB genetic spin, and not the most recent spin, as in one can't compare the two due to the number that have been kept in the hobby. It's ok to sit on your hands when you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about, really, no one will even notice.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Just get a black arowana if you want an arowana max 24-30” and take the vieja out... them and the Severums will most likely nip the arowanas streamers over time stressing it out, or just get a 10x6 intex pool for 500$ an keep your silver.... cheapo fix at a pretty minimum price

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
ust get a black arowana if you want an arowana max 24-30”
Max is 36"+, and while 36-40" may not be typical, how many here have actually seen a black aro (Osteoglossum ferreirai) in a large system, that is 7+ yrs old, and that has reached its full potential and close to its maximum size?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
All I see is us coming full circle, with a maximum size of fish, and a minimum size of tank.

Welcome to MinimumFishkeeping.com

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
FYI .....

I had a 3ft black in a 6x2x2 it wasn't ideal I know but true

A lot of claims of three foot plus silver and black aros, yet you really don't see many people posting proof of such. For the most part, I haven't seen many people posting silvers over 30" or blacks over 24".

As for mine, my two silvers are 5.5-6 years old and 29-30". They grew rather quickly up to 24-25" and then the grow has slowed drastically since.

My two blacks, one is 26-27" and going on 5 years old, was a slow grower but not a very aggressive feeder. My youngest black is 25-26" and only 21 months old.

My silvers got up to 2.5 feet in two years and my black eats as much as the silvers used to do. I hope that at lest it gets up to 3feet, I would be happy with that size:D The silver I have in my avatar is one of the two I had 2.5feet

That should give the OP an idea of what he is considering. Also keep in mind that one of the main reasons, at least IMO, that one doesn't see some of these fish at larger sizes, is because most hobbyists for whatever reason don't keep their fish for 10 yrs or more. Hard to see maximum sizes, when maximum duration isn't part of the equation.

Reactions: islandguy11

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Max is 36"+, and while 36-40" may not be typical, how many here have actually seen a black aro (Osteoglossum ferreirai) in a large system, that is 7+ yrs old, and that has reached its full potential and close to its maximum size?
How many ppl keep any fish for 7 years lol most of the time after a year or two everyone hits the refresh button, I’ve never seen any arowana hit 40+ in an aquarium and I have a friend that’s kept silvers for 6-7 years on a drip still 3ft in a 650g/ and a 1500g aquarium..... don’t forget the ID threads too lol not just minimum tank size.Also if were talking about the max size, there’s no number that we can state that’s a guarantee everyone’s fish will get to that size, some have better genetics than others even in the same circumstances some will never attain the size of the undocumented biggest arowana in captivity which will remain speculation untill a pic is provided with the fish laying alongside a tape measure. I’m saying from experience of seeing my friends silver arowana in his systems for almost a decade that they don’t reach 4ft in the aquarium

Last edited:

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Also when does this discussion end? It’s all opinion based and most likely as we all know the op is gonna do it anyway as they all mostly do ....just wants affirmation from everyone to feel better about the choice. Everyone who knows better has seen or done monster fish in smaller tanks to recognize now that they deserve the biggest tank you can offer.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
How many ppl keep any fish for 7 years lol
Me for a starter, and I'm certainly not the only one. Apparently your friend is as well.

My point was simply that it's difficult to calculate "maximum" sizes, when the duration of the fish being kept is "minimum". The one poster in my previous comment among other sizes and ages noted, stated: "My youngest black is 25-26" and only 21 months old." One fish, and one person, does not make up maximum and minimum averages.

I also never said that a silver will (or even should) hit 48" in an aquarium. The point being, even at 36" it's more than just a wee bit ambitious to consider keeping one in a tank the size of a 240.

I would have left this thread a long time ago had the Asian/Aussie aro genus not been brought into the discussion. There is no comparison to silvers, none.

No question in my mind that silver aros are one of the most abused aros kept in captivity, due to a lack of respect and improper care being offered by inexperienced hobbyists, and that's what the moral of this story should be.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Even if silvers only reach 20inches,a 24inch wide tank don't give it much room. Just a crap existence performing tight turns back and forth.
Why some people have to send these threads off at tangents astonishes me.
Op asked, can I keep a silver in a 240. Answer, it's far from ideal.
Where's the frigging debate. Who cares about genetics.

Reactions: islandguy11 and RD.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store