CAN I ADD FISH?

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
If anyone has read one of my last posts, ALL FISH DEAD IN ONE NIGHT, you saw that I did not properly cycle the tank and the fish died. So it has been 3 weeks since the fish died and I have done anything to the tank. I haven’t even looked at it since then. So, I went back to “start the nitrogen cycle” and I brought filter media and rocks from my established tank at home. I got there and took a test and the water was almost perfect. .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10-20 nitrate. I then took all of the sand out of the tank and put rocks in. I put the established filter media in and also cleaned the tank. After all the sand was stirred up I took another test and got the same results. So, the day the fish died they were dead in the tank for 10 hours(because I didn’t have time to do anything with them). Did the dead fish in the water release ammonia and start the nitrogen cycle? If they did could I add fish to the tank soon with the right pH? Or should I just restart the cycle?

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
were the filter media and rocks from home kept submerged in the original tank water when you transported them?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The dead fish were definitely putting out ammonia.
If it were me, I'd start with a few fish, and not overload the tank for about a week. If all goes well then a few more.
I just set up a 180 gal from scratch.
First I added substrate and plants, and got the sump going.
About a week later, more plants and about 25 mosquito fish to help the tank cycle (all @1"). I expected some to die, none did.
Let that go with the 25 Gambusia for a little over a month.
Then last week, a dozen 2" to 4" fish.
So far, ammonia is non detectable.

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
I would buy some ammonia and pour some in the tank so it gets to about 4-5ppm and if the next day there is absolutely 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites I would do a water change to remove some of the nitrates the ammonia produced and put fish in. If I couldn't immediately add fish after finding these results, I would continue to "feed" the bacteria with ammonia daily by pouring some in. Then doing a water change when I get the fish.

Its always exciting to get new fish but it's important not to rush it because then the fish will likely die as they produce ammonia to the tank and it would be expensive and sad if they are the fish you want. Be patient and make sure it's cycled properly

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
I would buy some ammonia and pour some in the tank so it gets to about 4-5ppm and if the next day there is absolutely 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites I would do a water change to remove some of the nitrates the ammonia produced and put fish in. If I couldn't immediately add fish after finding these results, I would continue to "feed" the bacteria with ammonia daily by pouring some in. Then doing a water change when I get the fish.

Its always exciting to get new fish but it's important not to rush it because then the fish will likely die as they produce ammonia to the tank and it would be expensive and sad if they are the fish you want. Be patient and make sure it's cycled properly
I understand that I need to be patient and I also understand the nitrogen cycle. But is there anyway that the nitrogen cycle already happened because the dead fish put the ammonia in the water and the tank ran for 3 weeks? The water test seems like the water is cycled so I’m kinda confused

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
There defentily was ammonia in the tank from the fish, but usually it takes longer than 3 weeks to cycle, but you said you put in some established media so that would cut down the time and it may be cycled. Putting in ammonia/fish food/ sacrificial fish would help check just to be sure before adding expensive fish. I tend to be cautious with everything I do with fish since I didn't quarantine a fish and it wiped out my tank, that's why I now I always double check everything including my tanks being fully cycled. Personally I find the $2.79 spent on ammonia at Ace and extra day of waiting is worth it as I know my tank is cycled.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I doubt that the original ammonia would have been enough to completely cycle the tank, which is a process which usually takes 4-6 weeks. I would agree with duanes, I would add 4 or 5 small fish like Rosy minnows or similar size, and test the water often. If the tank were "cycled" ammonia would be at 0, not .25. You should watch for ammonia and nitrites to be 0 with steadily rising nitrate

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Save yourself the trouble and pick up a bottle of tetras safestart plus. Its great product, you only need the one dose or two to get the cycled. The directions mention maintenance doses, just away to sell more product

Reactions: RD.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What size tank ? Any live remaining fish ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store