Canister filter

Barca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2022
Hi all.
I have a 4 feet tank. 4x2x1.5 (Length x width x height) and I bought the wrong canister filter. Will lowering water in tank have any effect on my canister filter ? Particularly the input tube that gets water back to the canister ?
My tank is 83 gallons (310 litres) and the filter I have is oase biomaster 250 that comes with a flow rate of 900 litres per hour, so that is only a overturn of 3 times and that is too little flow and filtration for a 83 gallon. If i only fill the tank to 50% or 60% will I still get 900 litres of filtration per hour ? confused with the suction strength of the input tube that sucks water back to the canister. Thanks guys.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all.
I have a 4 feet tank. 4x2x1.5 (Length x width x height) and I bought the wrong canister filter. Will lowering water in tank have any effect on my canister filter ? Particularly the input tube that gets water back to the canister ?
My tank is 83 gallons (310 litres) and the filter I have is oase biomaster 250 that comes with a flow rate of 900 litres per hour, so that is only a overturn of 3 times and that is too little flow and filtration for a 83 gallon. If i only fill the tank to 50% or 60% will I still get 900 litres of filtration per hour ? confused with the suction strength of the input tube that sucks water back to the canister. Thanks guys.
Welcome aboard

Reactions: Barca and kno4te

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I don't think reducing your water volume would solve the problem anyway. Keep your tank full and add a HOB . What is the stocking density, that is the primary driver

Reactions: Barca and deeda

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Good advice given.
Not only the canister performance can suffer if you lower the water level, but the benefit of about half of the total volume of the tank will not be operable, thus making it approximately a 40gal tank, with the inherent increase of possibilityy of fluctuations, and ability to remain stable.
In addition to increasing turnover rate and amount of mechanical and biological media, adding a second filter (best an HOB) will provide much needed redundance, which is of critical importance for safety and peace of mind. One filter fails or becomes temporarily, and the other will give your the needed backup.
I keep 2 filters in all my aquaria (beginning at 40gal), and 3 in 6 foot tanks. Peace of mind is priceless and relatively inexpensive.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the above comments about adding a HOB filter, instead of lowering water level.
I find the ratings of canisters highly over stated as a general rule (especially if you have substantial sized fish),
and would add a HOB whether it seemed under rated or not, in fact I'd probably add 2 HOBs .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store