Capa or Fila? True or false?

Dermifrost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2021
Thank you for these. Glad to see and hear a bit about your experience with these fish. We all learn together so much more and better!

Arapaima in the QT looks small enough for the piraiba to eat it. I'd not risk it.

The new piraiba is thin, as you had stated.

Piraiba colors can vary in my experience. Our Suriname is dark. One of our Peru is almost as dark while the other is light, indeed reminiscent of dourada catfish. It is interesting to see that your Peru is darker yet than our darker ones but your substrate is also dark, while we have bare bottom, and it is a factor. It is also interesting that your Peru fish was light colored when younger and turned dark as it grew. Was a change in substrate color involved?

I am not sure what link you are drawing between the size, the shade of darkness, and the aggressiveness of the looks. I'd not think they are necessarily linked, except adult piraiba get dark, it seems. The top fin of your Peru fish could have been damaged, judging from the dip in the front ray.

This old Peru piraiba, you say it grew a lot faster, but than who? Sorry, just trying to understand. Also what are you confused about, I am not readily understanding either, about filamentosum vs capapretum and Peru vs others?

Thank you for this. If so, these cannot be capapretum as capapretum do not seem to exceed 4ft even in the wild. 5ft+ is a rather small filamentosum by the species wild standards.
Yes!, i once bought a pair from Maloens monsters, had them for about 6 months, they grew slow but didnt darken up. always were swimming against the fx6 output. good apetite. but the one on the last video tht i got from ryan. i bought it at the same size as the ones malones sell. he grew faster. alot faster. i also used Clay as soil subs for the one i aquired from Ryan (globalfish)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting, again. Thank you. So Malone's two "Peru piraiba" grew clearly slower than UltimateJay's "Brazil piraiba". What sizes and what time frames are we talking?

What happened to the Malone's fish? You still got them? Do you have any visuals of them? I am pretty sure they look like true filamentosum, as we presently know it, that both Predatory Fins and Malone have been forced to sell as "capapretum" because of their slower growth and smaller size.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store