Care for a largemouth bass?

Mr geophagus

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2019
Does anybody know the care requirements for a largemouth bass. E.g. tank size, temperature, filtration, food, etc.

nhwn915

Feeder Fish
Feb 24, 2019
Does anybody know the care requirements for a largemouth bass. E.g. tank size, temperature, filtration, food, etc.
Bass are extremely easy to take care of,. They are hardy, fun, and easy to feed, all you need is a properly sized aquarium, gravel/sand for the bottom of the tank, oxygen, properly sized filter, and good water quality. if you have those things then your bass will be fine. That being said you need to size your aquariums to the size of your bass, i kept a bass till about 4.5 inches in a 10 gallon tank before i let him go with no problems. feed your bass worms and minnows and he will be perfectly fine.

Reactions: Mr geophagus

Mr geophagus

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2019
Bass are extremely easy to take care of,. They are hardy, fun, and easy to feed, all you need is a properly sized aquarium, gravel/sand for the bottom of the tank, oxygen, properly sized filter, and good water quality. if you have those things then your bass will be fine. That being said you need to size your aquariums to the size of your bass, i kept a bass till about 4.5 inches in a 10 gallon tank before i let him go with no problems. feed your bass worms and minnows and he will be perfectly fine.
Thanks. So do you think 20 - 30 gallons per 8” is a good rule of thumb for bass?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks. So do you think 20 - 30 gallons per 8” is a good rule of thumb for bass?
Go straight to a minimum of 125 gallon (will probably need to upgrade at some point).

Fairly easy to care for if needs are met,aren't terribly picky about temps or PH, eat meaty foods such as fish,shrimp, insects,earthworms and may accept pellets.

Avoid tankmates that could potentially be swallowed, as LMB love to eat.

Tankmates could include: channel catfish, peacock bass, datnoids,pacu etc large individuals could even be kept with redtail cats and arapima

Be sure to not overfeed lmb, as they can get obesity

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I used to keep native fish, one of which was a large mouth bass. I had him in a 180 (72"x24"x24") and he did fine, he went from around 12 inches to close to 24 inches before I released him. You don't need a heater or anything, just get a good filter (preferably a sump and/or a canister filter) and keep up on water changes. They are easy to feed too, they eat just about anything, but do not feed live feeders unless you know FOR A FACT they are disease free and gutloaded, if possible try to raise live feeders yourself. Here are some good foods
Northfin Mass Carnivore Formula
New Life Spectrum Mega Fish Formula
Tilapia
shrimp (both frozen and live if you can provide live feeders safely)
crayfish (frozen and live if you can provide the live form safely)
minnows/guppies (again, if you can provide the live version safely, if not just freeze them)
Do NOT feed live mice or frogs as fish cannot digest the fat properly and it clogs their arteries and organs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store