Channa bleheri in a 30 gallon?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I know, I’ve carried out quite some research, however I was searching “rainbow snakehead” in youtube and a guy kept 4 of these in a 90 gallon, which had the exact same dimenions with my tank, except for the height. I asked him whether they were doing well and he said that they were not aggressive towards the other ones, and they were doing well
its not about being aggressive its about having a good live in a not to small place. I would not recommend it. The guy in the video probably has channa's that are misgrown and they will probably not live a happy live and a long one.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I would for sure, better than where most will end up imo. Cared for by an mfk' member, if it gets near the upper size range and you feel it's getting tight upgrade later on. If it ever gets 6", it will take years if it does ime

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I would for sure, better than where most will end up imo. Cared for by an mfk' member, if it gets near the upper size range and you feel it's getting tight upgrade later on. If it ever gets 6", it will take years if it does ime
It will never grow near 6 if it is in a to small tank. Instead his bones will grow big and his body will stay small. And 'better then where most end up' is not a good excuse to give a fish an unhappy live. It's not recommended in such a small tank, not even on one site. I will not put it in there, its just not a good way to keep such a fish.

JohnAndrr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
It will never grow near 6 if it is in a to small tank. Instead his bones will grow big and his body will stay small. And 'better then where most end up' is not a good excuse to give a fish an unhappy live. It's not recommended in such a small tank, not even on one site. I will not put it in there, its just not a good way to keep such a fish.
So a snakehead is a no:(
Any similar predatory fish recommended for a 30 gallon tank?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
So a snakehead is a no:(
Any similar predatory fish recommended for a 30 gallon tank?
hmm.. not really maybe some smaller pufferfish species

Monocirrhus polyacanthus is an option. Ur tank is actually to small but it does not move a lot so ..

killifish is a good option or the smaller African cichlids like shell dwellers

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Even at 6"/150mm the tank is 4 x the length of the fish and 2.66 x the width of the fish, plus 4x the height.

On that terminology it would be like a 2ft golden cobra being in a 8ft x 5.2ft x 4ft tall 1100g or whatever tank....

Your going to the extreme here, is it ideal with that length? No but is it sufficient for someone to keep one as long as they keep up with the water changes, yes definitely.

Channa don't move alot, I don't care what the sites say, flick through all the threads on her and find a 6" fish that has 100l all to its self. Probably count em on one hand.

Reactions: SBM and Dloks

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
It's a 125l tank, 33g, I have a red wolf in my 125l tank and he is 5.5" ATM and doing great.
My tank is a different shape being 80cm long but still, my nitrates stay within 10ppm of my tap water with 1 60% WC per week.
I don't think stunting and deformation will be an issue at all as long as you do your water changes and keep nitrates close to your tap water.

15219893687317928006024134484658.jpg

TomatoandEgg

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2017
Even at 6"/150mm the tank is 4 x the length of the fish and 2.66 x the width of the fish, plus 4x the height.

On that terminology it would be like a 2ft golden cobra being in a 8ft x 5.2ft x 4ft tall 1100g or whatever tank....

Your going to the extreme here, is it ideal with that length? No but is it sufficient for someone to keep one as long as they keep up with the water changes, yes definitely.

Channa don't move alot, I don't care what the sites say, flick through all the threads on her and find a 6" fish that has 100l all to its self. Probably count em on one hand.
This.

You can keep a small group in there imo. These fish aren’t arowana they don’t swim around non stop they like to lurk.

Reactions: justarn

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
Let's not forget that even from a group, you usually end up with just 1 or 2 snakeheads by maturity. I wouldn't hesitate to put one in that size tank. I usually work in the max length of the fish, x4 for the length of the tank and at least x1.5 the max length of the fish for the width of the tank. We will all have different advice for you, we all do things differently. As long as the fish isn't too cramped and the fish is happy is the main thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: justarn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store