Cheap, Easy, Low Light Plants?

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Yes I could do that, but how? Behind the tank is my DIY Yeast Co2 reactor. Any suggestions on how to make a moss wall?
I use plastic crate from ceiling lights in which I cut to size and netting to keep birds out of fruit trees...all available at your hardware stores. Look up moss walls and there are other methods but I do it this way because the moss does not stick to the egg crate and if I need to harvest any moss for other tanks, I simply lift the netting and pick away what I need.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
The egg crate or whatever netting you use can be cut to fit below your filter. One other thing, I tie on suction cups to hold it up...and yes, all Java moss.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Otherwise, you could get that sticky vinyl in either black or white and use that to cover the back of your tank to give it a background and cover whats behind...

Reactions: magpie

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Should be fine... a lot of people use these as their backgrounds (stuck to the outside of course) which no ill effects to the fish, myself included...

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Bacopa monnieri (aka moneywort) is quite good and hardy. Grows a bit slow in low lighting and has medium growth in high t5ho lighting. I've managed to keep a large amount alive off a 3 year old plant I got from petsmart. Just using a single old t8 on my 20 with no fertilizer other than fish poops and no issues. Well worth it!

DaFroggy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Madison, Wisconsin
Should be fine... a lot of people use these as their backgrounds (stuck to the outside of course) which no ill effects to the fish, myself included...
So I don't have much free time to go to the store, I placed an old white binder behind the tank. How does this look? It pretty much covers everything and gives the tank a sort of white background? I also have a black one that I could try.

IMG_0717.JPG

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store